1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japan Premier Test Drive Toyota's Fuel Cell Vehicle

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Renyeo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Renyeo

Renyeo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mirai which is 'future' in Japanese is Toyota's production fuel cell vehicle. It will arrive for the summer of 2015 in European and American markets.

Japanese premier test-drive a Mirai last month and give the thumb up. Japan receive theirs toward end of this year.

Watch a video.

[​IMG]

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Shame when he said that 'because there is no exhaust it is friendly to the environment' they didn't take that opportunity to ask why the downplaying of EVs.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, the MOTOR gives it quick acceleration. reminds me of bob klutz and the volt test drive. thanks.

4. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I kinda like it. Of course, I'll be too old to drive by the time these are readily available around the US.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting Singapore and welcome to Prius Chat. What car do you drive?
    Are you an electric car owner, but supporting H2 FCV? That would be different politics than we have in US.
    I am afraid you have a mixed audience here, with some vocal opposition to H2 cars on the thought US should concentrate on electric cars.

Definitely I want the white color on mine.

6. Renyeo

Renyeo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, thanks for the welcome note.

I was on a lease with Nissan Latio (aka Versa) but gave up for public. Love the Mirai (when money's no object) but also fancy the CO2 badass Lexus LS460. Anyway, we could only dream in Singapore - the cars are way too ridiculously expensive here. :)

austingreen likes this.
  7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have managed to acquire a Mercedes fuel cell car (two year lease). I just picked it up last evening, but unfortunately I can't refuel it (hydrogen stations in my area are down). I also need to be "trained" how to use each & every station which I think is California Stupid.....oh well. (shrug) Meanwhile some observations:

- Mercedes had to replace the battery. Not sure why, but it shows even hydrogen cars have battery replacement concerns (just like full EVs).

- the car operates kinda like a Volt (in mountain mode). The Mercedes runs in pure EV mode downto 49% and then the engine turns on to recharge the battery. Except instead of a gasoline-powered engine, this car uses the hydrogen-powered fuel cell.

- the fuel cell generator will try to hold the battery near 50%. It turns off if battery is above 55 and turns on again at 49. Perhaps this increases lifespan? It reminds me of how the Prius will turnoff the engine if its battery becomes too full.

- 0-60 time feels sluggish... about 11 seconds. Regen braking is also surprisingly weak. It isn't like the Tesla or Leaf that pushes you forward in the seat. It's more gentle than that (though not as gentle as Prius braking).

- the car makes a whirring noise every time it moves. The Hyundai fuel cell car made no noise, so maybe the Mercedes isn't as refined?

- the hydrogen tank lies where the spare tire would normally go. The sign reads "service access only".

- if my car runs out of range (240 miles), then Mercedes will provide a free loaner car and take their FCV back to the shop

;) :) :D

8. When would they launch this in US?