1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

japanese model import? has anyone shipped a car from japan?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Danny13pruisc3, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a family member in Japan..

The japanese have the DC quick charge right? I was thinkking what's to stop me from shipping
    a japanese version over? Like if my family member was claiming he was moving here and bringing his car with him?

2. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Cost. Making the car conform US regulations (not to mention transport costs).
    Safety. Right hand drive vehicles are more difficult to drive safely in a left hand drive world (a minor to major concern depending on actual vs perceived driving skills).

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the most obvious problem, you would have to drive on the right-handed steering wheel. If you live in UK or Aussie, then it is not a problem. Or you are planning to drive it for USPS delivery, then it will be fine. But otherwise, I don't think it's worth it.

To be honest, unless you happen to live in an area with available free CHAdeMO charging stations, it is not likely to be very useful for the US market anyway. You still would have to recharge, every ~25 miles driven. And for what costs???

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Would be cheaper to just order the CHAdeMO port parts from Japan, and install it on a US car.

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Car half’s or disassembled cars Can be legally sent as parts

fully functional cars need to have a speed limiter installed alongside conforming lighting by a registered importer to allow them in.

Getting road legal is another loop after that, full speed is impossible unless you crash test a bunch of examples

That said the law is wrong, poorly thought out and should be overturned.

6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced