1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japanese to English software conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SOL@RCH, Sep 3, 2007.

1. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

I have recently baught a 2006 Prius which I imported directly from Japan and I'm more than thrilled with it. It's a 'decent' automobile to drive around with my family plus it's loaded with gudgets. The main drawback though is that the software is in Japanese!! Help! Is there anyone out there who has faced this problem successfully? I asked around, but nobody has been able to 'break' the code. I appriciate all your ideas, thank you.

Pavlos, SOL@RCH Architects

2. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Pavlos
    congratulations on your new Prius.

I've seen several posters ask the same question as you, and in fact I asked it also. I've never seen a solution posted though. Most of the members of this site have purchased north american/english language versions and so there's not much effort or interest on/in this problem. I am convinced that there is an "easter egg" for switching languages -- but I haven't found it (haven't looked TOO hard though).

Here's why I think so, in the english language version of the manual there is a heading titled something like "screen and language settings", but the section only describes screen settings. So at one point there was at least the idea that language settings would be selectable -- either that or there was a translation/miscommunication from the engineers to the manual writers.

So good luck, there are certainly quite a few people who would praise you if you were the one dedicated enough to find out how to do it and posted the results...

3. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

Thanks for your reply Samiam.

I have made several attempts already, including contacting Toyota Europe & Toyota Japan. No positive outcome yet but I'll keep everyone posted on this issue.

Pavlos

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SOL@RCH @ Sep 7 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]508420[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect your warranty support is limited so you might consider getting a salvage display unit and having it replace your Japanese language version. If it doesn't work, swap back to the Japanese language version.

Bob Wilson

5. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Sep 7 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]508450[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, just the opposite. Toyota's warranty support for signature class imports from Japan is 5 years unconditional (+ 5 years free warrant of fitness checks & roadside assistance)

And I'll keep pulling for you to find the secret, SOL@RCH

6. kgu

kgu Junior Member

I can confirm that in some markets there is indeed a language selection option on the "Information menu" screen.
    I have a 2005 model without navigation and bluetooth and the languages available in my car are English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Swedish and Danish. It seems likely that other language selections must be available in other regions of the world too.
    On my "Informaton menu" screen, the available buttons are (from left to right): "Trip info", "Language, and "Screen setting"

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 7 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]508478[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking new imported by Toyota or grey imports imported second hand from Asia?

8. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 8 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]508483[/snapback]</div>
    They aren't grey. Toyota import them used from Japan (or acquire them here as trade-ins), refurbish them in the Toyota plant in Thames and sell them as their Signature Class product line, the programme has been running for 10 years now.
    [attachmentid=11201]

Attached Files:

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK that's cool. In Australia most dealers wouldn't want to know about a privately imported car. They wont service it and they wont sell you parts as soon as you identify the car as a private import.
    Toyota Australia don't import any used cars except for development and they are never sold. I don't know what NZ vehicle standards are like but there is some messing about needed to get a used import registered here. All the lights and seatbelts need to be Australian standards approved.

10. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kgu @ Sep 7 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]508481[/snapback]</div>
    This is very peculiar, I just had an official reply from Toyota Europe that claims ''Regarding the software language, there is no way of changing this into english as it is a factory setting.''

11. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kgu @ Sep 7 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]508481[/snapback]</div>
    This is very peculiar, I just had an official reply from Toyota Europe that claims ''Regarding the software language, there is no way of changing this into english as it is a factory setting.''

12. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems we are being watched!! :blink:
    Oh no, you asked them didn't you? So why wouldn't you expect an answer?
    How good is it that they did get back to you, a massive corporation and they answer an individuals question.

Cudos Toyota!!! :rolleyes: B)

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems we are being watched!! :blink:
    Oh no, you asked them didn't you? So why wouldn't you expect an answer?
    How good is it that they did get back to you, a massive corporation and they answer an individuals question.

Cudos Toyota!!! :rolleyes: B)

14. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 12 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]511132[/snapback]</div>
    You said it Patsparks!
    Today I was informed by the local (and only one) official Toyota dealer in Cyprus that they cannot service any Prius 2006 that's been privately imported from Japan. Nor they can provide a Service or Owner's Manual. All this is in 2007 ''free-market'' Europe!
    On the other hand, some Toyota mechanics (who work for the local dealer) have approached me and said that they can privately service the car, provide manuals and, YES, they will try to find a solution to the software's language...
    Cheer up guys, we' re almost there.

15. SOL@RCH

SOL@RCH New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 12 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]511132[/snapback]</div>
    You said it Patsparks!
    Today I was informed by the local (and only one) official Toyota dealer in Cyprus that they cannot service any Prius 2006 that's been privately imported from Japan. Nor they can provide a Service or Owner's Manual. All this is in 2007 ''free-market'' Europe!
    On the other hand, some Toyota mechanics (who work for the local dealer) have approached me and said that they can privately service the car, provide manuals and, YES, they will try to find a solution to the software's language...
    Cheer up guys, we' re almost there.

16. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SOL@RCH @ Sep 13 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]511782[/snapback]</div>
    Way to go SOL@RCH! B)

Keep us updated please!

17. kermityfrog

kermityfrog New Member

changing the language is not that easy unless the coding is built in and sometimes it is also require some hardware like a bigger Flash ROM to support the coding.

Maybe it is something similar to computer that Japanese language is consider a double bit and Engilsh is single bit?

18. bebank

bebank New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Active

I just saw a lot of people are looking for language conversion of Toyota Prius so we can help you if you are based in Ireland.

Toyota Prius ZVW30 style and restyle years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 Instrument Cluster aka Dash, aka Speedometer aka Torpedo Japanese to English Conversion or language change/switch to English. We provide this service in Ireland, Dublin, Blanchardstown.

Visit our website for more information simple-it D-O-T info or just contact me or my partner.

Roman
    +353 86 228 0468

Nick
    +353 86 014 4890

Mon-Sun, 8:00-22:00 (GMT TIME)

Thanks very much.