1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Amp Under Passenger Seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rick Grahn, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am not expert in car audio, but it looks like there is an amp under the passenger seat of my '05. If so, does anyone know if this can be upgraded with something that will fit in the same place? Any suggestions?

When I say upgraded, I am wishing for more volume from my DVD player and XM radio. I have the ultimate lockpick--works great but the audio in cabling is shared by these two devices and seems to reduce the volume of each (yes, I have the ground loop isolator that Coastal sells).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Oct 2 2006, 07:27 AM) [snapback]326780[/snapback]</div>
    The short answer is no.

The amp can be replaced, but not by one that will go in the same place and preserve the integrated features. At least no one has done it yet.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about adding linear amp to boost the existing JBL? That way you preserve the integrated features. I know I must be getting old, because I can't imagine how you can tolerate more volume. :blink: I almost never set mine over level 14.

Tom

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 2 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]326793[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's what most, if not all of us who have installed amps have done. Take the rear channel output from the JBL amp, run it into a line-out converter, then run that into the input of the new amp(s). A few have installed signal processors to flatten out the frequency response of the signal coming out of the JBL amp (JL Audio CleanSweep, etc.).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 2 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]326946[/snapback]</div>
    And what does that do aside from volume boosting?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 2 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]327152[/snapback]</div>
    Over all better sound. Aftermarket is usually far superior to even the best "premium" system.

7. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    another idea...
    instead of swapping the amp to make it play louder...how about adding sound deadening to make the car quieter? i believe i'm remembering this correctly, but every 3db of ambient noise reduction is equivalent to a doubling of amplifier power.

there are quite a few options...dynamat, b-quiet, etc.

and you'll have a quieter car to boot!

best of luck,

kona

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 2 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]327158[/snapback]</div>
    Even with stock speakers or in conjunction with a speaker upgrade?

Depends.. what about the B&O system on the A8 or the ML system on the LS460 and IS series? (I heard the GS one isn't that great)

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 3 2006, 12:20 AM) [snapback]327164[/snapback]</div>
    With a speaker upgrade.

No it doesn't depend. For any system out there, I can make a better aftermarket system. It may be costly, but any system can be improved. Both systems you listed are very competent and wonderful sounding systems. But there are still compromises. Our Volvo came with an 11 speaker, 400-something watt Dolby surround stereo. Is it nice? Yes, far better than what you used to get. But one day I wanted to find out what the drivers looked like. Cheap Taiwanese speakers. Sure they were a better quality speaker than the usual crap that car manufacturers use, but still nothing great.

Do you think B&O makes the drivers that are used in the A8? Hell no. SOme Chinese company makes speakers to their specifications. These specs are much better than what the average car speaker is, but is not to the level you get from a really nice aftermarket speaker. Same situation with the Mark Levinson system. What a lot of these have in common is that they use heavy processing to improve the sound, to make up for the inherent dificiencies of the system. If they had their way, they'd end up with a $20,000 premium system option for these cars. Remember, it's the bean counters that call the shots.

I'm not saying the systems that are coming in cars today are not good. They are. Some are really, really phenomenal. Some are not. Like the Prius.

There is always room for improvment.

10. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 2 2006, 06:47 AM) [snapback]326793[/snapback]</div>

Tom,
    Thanks for your input. FYI, the FM and AM radio, CD and cassette volumes are fine. It is the XM and DVD volumes that are about 30% reduced due (I think) to sharing an input into the back of the "head unit" (I think that is what it is called). This is not a problem around town (of course I do not use the DVD around town), but I take several 2-7 hour highway trips in my car each week (for work) and the road noise can sometimes drowned out the voices of a movie (especially a 5.1 audio movie playing on my 2.0 stereo).

Again, thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(konakahuna @ Oct 2 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]327160[/snapback]</div>
    Kona, I very much would like to do this, and was searching for step by step instructions on how to do it to the Prius and have not had any luck finding anything yet. I like working on the car, but am afraid to take the door panels off without knowing what I am getting into. Also, I do not know which product(s) are the best/easiest to use. If I could find someone local in the Chicago suburbs that I could trust, I might consider that, but I would either want to stand over him/her while it was being done or to help with the project.

Any thoughts? Anyone know where I can find step by steps with pics? I remember someone posted something about a year or so ago that was fairly detailed but I haven't found it yet.

Rick

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If the lockpick was designed properly, there should be no 'sharing' of the audio input. The inactive devices should be at high impedance to the head unit input, thus not affecting anything. I believe that's what the problem was with third party adapters made a while back. If the source is low to begin with, it will come out low.

The amp is also the preamp that is network controlled, so it can't be easily taken out and replaced.

As for signal processing, I believe one person did an acoustics analysis and discovered that if the car's accoustics are accounted for, the sound system is actually quite flat, though a bit weak in the very low end, which is the reason to add subwoofers.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 3 2006, 02:44 AM) [snapback]327216[/snapback]</div>
    I thought B&O would use less processing than say.. Bose. I mean my B&O headphone set is pretty clear for such a small set of speakers. But I'm surprised at what you said about the Volvo.