1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Audio Settings...what is yours?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Thai, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey all,

For fun, i just want to hear what you guys set your JBL system to.

My current settings are:

Treble +1
    Mid +1
    Bass 0
    ASL ON
    Average volume 22-25

So far, after 48 hours of ownership, this is what i have settled on. Without ASL, the lower end sounds kinda weak at highway speed. So, i needed to bump up the bass manually. But with ASL ON, i found that the bass (or low end) would kinda overpower the mids and highs. So, i have left ASL ON but bump up the mid and treble a tiny bit.

BTW, this JBL system is fantastic! I can't really believe that there is only 8 speakers in the car! I have had many pretty good stereo systems in prior cars. This one is calibrated quite well with surprisingly good deep bass separation despite not having a dedicated big subwoofer.

List your settings....

2. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I had me JBL before I ripped it out and replaced it with all aftermarket I had the settings set at: treble +4, mid +4, bass +3. Your jbl system at those settings must sound so flat because that system is weak to begin with. You need to up the setting to get half decent sound.

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess that i am used to a "neutral" sound. I don't like to boost frequencies too much...maybe this is why i like Martin Logans over B&W. :D ASL does enough boosting for me. It is definitely good enough for me that i am not going to even think about aftermarket stuff...those days are long gone for me...too much work and too many things that can go wrong (scratches, rattles, creaks, etc.).

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But technically the DSS would make it like there was a subwoofer all around the car, right? I thought the door speakers were woofers. I guess I don't know too much about it (so feel free to educate me).

My settings depend on mode (Radio/CD, SAT, AUX, BT). I can't remember it off the top of my head.

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oooppss...i forgot...the above setting is for CDs. Radio/sat settings are flat simply because the source of the music is poor (static, etc.)...therefore, i tend not to bump anything for fear that it may shorten my speaker's lifespan...just my paranoia.

Yup, DSS combines to make deep bass around the cabin. I am just amazed not at just how deep the bass is but also the bass separation (aka hearing the different deep bass frequencies playing out) from simple 6x9's and 6.5's woofers. I am also amazed at the lack of rattles from the doors when the bass hits. From hearing the same song that is rich in bass in an Avalon with JBL, Camry with JBL, and now Prius with JBL, i can tell you that the ONLY car door that does not rattle with the bass notes is the Prius. I know that recently (or so claimed by JBL), JBL has improved upon their speaker design/technology in their factory car systems. The way that i look at this is that the JBL in the Avalon and my Sienna were 1st generations...the JBL in the Camry was the next generation...and now the Prius/2010 4runner/etc. JBL systems are the latest. Maybe i am imagining things, but i swear that the JBL in the Prius sounds more alive than the one in the Camry, even though both have the almost similar specs.

Well, sorry about ramblings...back on topic.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does that shorten speaker life??

I see. Could be. I'm still impressed at the Camry's JBL system. Then again, it's been 3 years since it got totalled. My current frame of reference is the 2005 Prius and it's miles ahead.

7. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As for the rattles & creaks, they come standard on every Prius. :eek:

8. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Knock on wood...so far, my Prius is rattle free...even when the deep bass hits! :)