1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Premium sound system problem

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by o_intent, Feb 15, 2024.

1. o_intent

o_intent Junior Member

I have a 2023 Prius Prime XSE Premium which comes with the 8 speaker JBL "Premium" sound system. While driving home and listening to music on Android Auto last week, the volume suddenly dropped by 50%, initially prompting me to think that the car had attenuated the sound in order to deliver a message/warning, much like it would cut music when prompting a navigation message, but the volume would never returned to normal.

I normally cruise and comfortably listen at a level 17-20, going to 25 would be deafeningly loud. Now I would have to turn to 25 just to get any semblance of audio I'd normally get at 15. There is no more bass, the mid-range is just flat, and the thumping sensation caused by the moving air pressure is non-existent now.

My second thought was that a connector somewhere had come loose, or maybe a fuse to the amp had blown. Going in the sound tuning page of the infotainment system revealed that only the FRONT door speakers had any sound, while fading to the rear yields nothing back there! The next couple of days would see me checking all of the fuses in the car, unplugging the battery and re plugging in hopes it would reset some things back to default.

Brought it to the dealership, and naturally they returned with what one would expect, the tech found nothing obviously wrong with it, and that it sounded fine. Well, I've daily driven and listened to this car for 4 months now, enough to know exactly what it sounds like, and how it sounds when it all of a sudden goes completely away!

This is a bug that they are either aware of, and is sweeping under the rug, or is so new that it's only affecting limited number of cars, either way I am putting it out there for exposure.

While scouring the web I discovered another post from a RAV4 forum where the owner of a 2023 RAV4 Prime described his/her issues, and they sounded like a word-for-word copy.

Strange thing happened with my sound system yesterday. 11 speaker &quot;premium&quot; JBL system, 10.5&quot; display. | Toyota RAV4 Forums <-------- For reference, copy and paste link, remove spaces

2. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I've had the car beep for a notification of some sort, then just... Never turn off the sound attenuation mode.

On a base model prime.

The voice navigation on android auto also stopped working entirely. It would "play" but no assistant voice would play, and it wouldn't read messages out to me etc also and music was similarly lowered in volume.

Only restarting the car or resetting the head unit worked to resolve it.

Probably some weird software AA related glitch.

3. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Is all sources of music! Is it same with FM radio? I use apple CarPlay with YouTube music! but if I get voice text lowers sound to 50% to hear text and resumes full volume!