1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL radio faceplate ruined

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lowbone, Aug 29, 2007.

1. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

Without going into allot of detail someone got some gooey stuff on the front of my JBL radio faceplate and attempted to remove it with something that had a solvent in it pretty much destroying the faceplate. The car is an 07 that I have had less then three months. Are the plastic parts making up the faceplate and small compartment door replaceable or are they a permanent part of the radio and if I have to replace the whole thing where can I get the best price?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your best bet is a wreckers. I'm fairly certain that the whole headunit exists as an individual part in Toyota's bin.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The radio is repairable through Toyota, not just replaceable. You'll be without it for a while. You might even be able to get the faceplate as a part from Fujitsu Ten (I think "JBL" is just marketing).

I had a friend ruin a Sienna Nav unit; all they needed was a thin film circuit board. They were able to get the part for under $100, I think.

However, start with the service department, tell them what happened, ask if they can warranty it. If not, go over to the parts department, ask them to help you get in touch with the radio repair folks.

Nate

4. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 30 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]504181[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks loads. I just got back from my dealer. They have a place where they send damaged and vandalized radios. I'll be without it for about two weeks. $210 and they guarantee it will look like new. That sure beats buying a new unit from Toyota for $$$$$