1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL sound system oddities in 2007 in hot weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by camner, May 21, 2016.

1. camner

camner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife drives a 2007 with a JBL sound system (I'm pretty sure it was a package 5).

When the car is parked in the sun in hot weather (say, outdoor temps at least 70), the control buttons on the sound system go wonky. For example, the Power button will toggle on and off the radio (even though the last used mode was NOT the radio), while the other buttons are unresponsive. One time, pushing the Load (CD) button turned the sound system on and off but would not trigger the CD load sequence. Other buttons can also do strange things.

This doesn't happen in cooler weather, and after about 10-15 minutes of driving in hot weather with the A/C on the sound system buttons will work normally again.

Anyone have any thoughts about this strange phenomenon?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you use a windshield sun shade or just let the sun cook the dash? They sell the best windshield shade made here at Priushop the Heat Shield.
    Its insulated and will drop the cars temp about 20 degrees. I never let my car sit in the sun without at least a shade.
    Btw, constant high cabin heat will greatly shorten the hybrid battery. Thats alot of $$$ and well worth any effort to keep the cabin cool.
    Including good tint job and always using the shade.

There was alot of complaints back in the day about the JBL sound system. Most notable were the turn on circuit failed on the JBL power amp under the seat and the amp was on all the time and killing the 12 volt battery. This is a common failure on radios. So if your car eats 12 volt battery's that's probably why.

Time for a new stereo system. Get rid of the jbl amp and get a new head unit. Lots of talk about that over in the electronic section.