1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Speakers go in and out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bluesman78, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The passenger side audio to front and rear speakers go in and out. I've had long-standing issues with theose speakers crackling usually when the volume is higher and more bass intense music.

Is there an easy way to diagnose. I want to take to a car-audio person to replace those speakers but don't want to unnecessarily pay for things.

If anyone has a sense of how much this will cost to fix assuming the most frequent offender please let me know. Thank you!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is more likely a poor connection somewhere in the wiring than necessarily bad speakers, given the history.

Yes, a good car audio person should be able to work out where problem lies and fix accordingly.

No idea on cost, it would depend on what and where is the problem.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my gen2 I installed the gizmo to be electric only and another gizmo for XM?, point is, I had to access the back of the unit, directions on the chat were available and easy, it was simply unplug and replug, point is, if you expose the unit you will find a loose or frayed connection, cord.....for free.

Otherwise do a bbb search for reliable car audio shops and go to a few and decide if they are honest, an hour or two of time shouldn’t break the bank, get an estimate.