1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Stereo CD Error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusDude, May 21, 2004.

1. PriusDude

PriusDude Junior Member

I have the JBL 6-CD Changer Stereo system installed by the factory in my Prius. After about 3 months the CD player will not play, nor eject CD's and provides a simple "CD Error" message on the screen. This has been the case for about a month now.

I am guessing that we will need to take it in to the dealer, which is really annoying. Anyone else have a problem like this? Any ideas or possible solutions without Dealer intervention?

2. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

I had mime to the dealer today. They have to order the part. It will be in in 10 days. Then they keep the car for an hour and replace the changer and it is all better. Problem is, I have my favorite CDs in there and I may never get them back. :cussing: 4 of the cds come from box sets, so we are talking $200 worth of cds. I am very unhappy lets just say and someone is going to hear from me. It never occurred to me to not put my expensive cds in my month old car because it would eat them!!! :cussing: I am fuming.

3. Mike N

Mike N New Member

First, demand that they return your CDs, and in good condition. Either somebody at the dealership, or demand they let you, take the defective unit apart screw by screw, panel by panel, sub-assembly by sub-assembly, until the CDs can be extracted safely. Why should they care about the defective unit, it is going to be returned to Toyota.
    Second, let this be a lesson to you and all who read this post, to only take copies of your valuable and hard to replace CDs out to the car.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i agree. i only carry copies of cd's in the car. with blanks below 25 cents (sometimes way below) it's the only way to fly

i actually couldn't care less about the 6 cd changer, as long as there is a single cd player. i had a changer in my lexus rx300 and all it meant was that i ended up spending a bunch of money on extra cartridges because i carry 40 or so CD's in the car.

now i just keep them in a binder and will probably not even really use the changer feature...

p.s. raenstoirrm- is it safe to guess that you are not taking it back to WV for service? any problems taking it to your local dealer?

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

THAT'S PIRATING YOU'RE STEALING FROM THOSE POOR ARTISTS and blah blah blah.

Sorry, but you knew someone was going to say it. Don't worry though, I was only kidding when I said it.

The video game companies have gone too far in the copyright battles - a good deal of the games I buy for my computer nowadays won't run on systems that have dvd burners or any sort of emulation for cds. Ok, rant complete. :)

-m.

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i know you were just busting chops, but actually, as long as i am making a backup copy for personal use, i don't think they have much to say about it. remember, i was talking about copies of CD's that i actually own. i would never discuss my mp3 collection in a public forum... :D

now if i offered to sell YOU a copy, the powers-what-am might have an issue

7. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

I am taking it to a local dealer. The big profit is in the service anyway, I mean $60 for an oil change, so they were more than willing to help me.
    I thought the JBL doesnt like copies. If I knew that I would have done that!

8. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

copies are certainly worth a try. many players don't 'like' copies and might skip once in a great while (remember to use decent blanks and to actually 'copy' the disk, not rip to mp3 and back again for an audio cd) but a skip once an hour or so is a small price to pay not to have a couple of hundred dollars worth of cd's at risk.

$60 for an oil change? wow. is there something special about the filter or something?

9. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

I have less than 1000 miles on mine, but I have heard $60 is the going rate. I dont think anything is special, it is just the way it is. Lexus charged us $400 to change the oil and "check" things on our 2003 ES. There was nothing wrong with the car just routine maint.

10. pino

pino Junior Member

I can understand your concern for your CD's, and normal practice for this type of situation is that the manufacturer's repair center will disassemble your defective unit and return the CD's directly to the owner. It takes some time for it to happen, but they do respect the owner's property.

Just relax! :mrgreen: