1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Stereo Replacement wiring harness doesn't fit at all

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bofhforever, Aug 12, 2017.

1. bofhforever

bofhforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought the 70-1761 harness that seemed like everyone uses along with the harness to use the box to preserve the steeering wheel controls. Pulled the dash apart after soldering/crimping all the wires to find out that the 70-1761 doesn't at all match the factory plugs. The bag definitely lists it as a 70-1761 and the picture matches on amazon. Is there some other harness I should have bought for a system with a JBL head unit?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't have a specific one to recommend, just that you have to be careful specifying what you've got. The 2010-11 only had a couple choices of headunit (with different connectors); 2012-15 had a larger number of choices (and also connectors different from the '10-11). So you have to be really specific (and if you're looking at other people's threads on PC, you have to pay very close attention to which option they're posting about).

-Chap

3. bofhforever

bofhforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I ordered the TYTO-01 same day from Amazon. Hopefully that will do the trick. Looks like I needed a harness and adaptor for the JBL amp.

4. bofhforever

bofhforever New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So in the end I needed the Metra TYTO-01, Metra Axxess ASWC-1, Metra 95-8226B, and Metra 70-8114 to install an aftermarket head unit. It preserved the JBL amp and AUX input under the arm rest(already had an RCA female cable that I spliced to a headphone jack), steering wheel controls and fit nicely and everything worked. The instructions said the blue wire from the harness was unused but I needed to connect it to power from the head unit to use the AM antenna. I went with the JVC KW-M730bt unit for the two USB inputs and 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections and did ground out the parking break line so that a passenger can type on the screen in waze/maps while I am driving. I looked at the Sony Android Auto and Carplay unit but the volume knob that I really wanted on the Sony unit lost out to the 2 simultaneous phone connections on the JVC unit. Didn't bother with any of the AV/Camera features as I didn't want to deal with running a camera to the back. The GPS antenna seems to work well but I haven't driven in a downtown area where my phone usually loses GPS signalling. The buttons mapped all on their own with the voice button being the equivalent of saying OK, Google. Haven't tried out Carplay yet but will play with it next time I have an iPhone user in the car.

5. bighammer

bighammer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm deep in the middle of this wiring nightmare at the moment. I don't really care that much about the volume and mode buttons, but I don't like that the energy monitor screen was dead. (just said SETTINGS, but wouldn't display anything else as I drove without the OEM head unit)

I bought a wiring harness on eBay that claimed to do everything, but it didn't fit at all, even though the listing included my 2011 JBL w/nav. (I sent it back for a refund) I've replaced the speakers in the dash and front doors. (had to chop out the door speakers to reuse the molded plastic 6x9 adapters) I've narrowed down what wires are for the different speakers and power, etc. I mounted a license plate frame rear camera and ran the wiring forward, along with the mic that came with the Pioneer DVD head unit.

I think I have a solution for the energy display: I removed the mounting brackets and front face of the OEM unit so it's just a rectangular metal box. If I plug in the black connector and the smaller white one, the display and right side steering wheel buttons work. I bent some of the metal behind the dash so this box of circuits can reside behind the heat controls and under the new head unit. I'm tapping into (soldered splices) the other wiring for battery, accessory, and reverse sense. (still need to figure out night time illumination/dimming wire) I'll run some new wire to under the passenger seat for the speaker output and tap into the wires from the JBL amp output. (and pitch out the amp)