1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL stereo vs. standard stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by uclabruins, Apr 14, 2006.

1. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm figuring out which Prius package to buy and wondered about this...Is the JBL upgrade stereo THAT much better than the standard stereo on a 2006? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the JBL in my 2005 and it's "all right." It added 3 more speakers. It works for me, but I'm not an audiophile. Others aren't that thrilled. Many have replaced the speakers (or disconnected the center speaker) or added subwoofers to make it better.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends what you're needs (or, actually, "wants") are. I'm fine with the basic (i.e. non-JBL) stereo, but the car I had before the Prius was a 17-year-old Jeep; we were lucky when the radio worked at all on that car. If you're a real audiophile or if you're coming from a car with a nice stereo, I'm sure you'll find the basic stereo (and maybe even the JBL stereo) unacceptable. I would characterize the basic stereo as "fine." I'm not blown away by it, but the radio works well, and CDs sound pretty good, too.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're an audiophile you will find the JBL unacceptable, as well. I would've been happy to pay less for the Prius to just have the non-JBL stereo since I installed my new system right away.

5. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I've got the standard, non-JBL stereo and it's still the best stereo I've ever had in a car! I mostly listen to CDs or XM talk radio, so it's really not a big deal for me...

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends. Wasn't the 06 to have better speakers for the JBL system. I don't know but this is not one of the best JBL systems Toyota have installed (the 6-speaker JBL audio in my dad's 02 Camry is waaaay better than mine)

7. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The basic system sounds significantly worse than the $200 system I put in my old 4Runner. I listened to what I was told was the same JBL system they put in the Prius in a Camry before I settled on a package, and I wasn't particularly impressed with that either. I opted to get the basic with the idea that I would upgrade. I'm now researching how I should do that.

8. benighted

benighted New Member

My 05 has the basic system.
    I added Infinity Kappa speakers all around and a Infinity Basslink powered subwoffer (No I don't work for Infinity :) ).
    It transformed the mediocre system into a very good system.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What kind of sub? bass tube or box style or hidden?

kenoarto likes this.
  10. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I concur on the stock stereo. It's nice, but I added subs (kicker 8"...and 2 Panasonic 6" under the front seats..well, just read my signature...), upgraded front speakers to real components with a real crossover network (Alpine 6" with tweeters) and the sound is greatly improved.

Maybe an amp for those fronts would take it another notch up.

Right now it's way better than stock with these upgrades.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I find the upgraded JBL adequate especially after I played with the sound output base, mid and trebble and adjusted the front back AND most of all disconnected the middle speaker alltogether. It's not a great system and way overpriced for what it is. If I were an audophile I would order a car without any system and have a good one installed. PLUS the AM system is very susceptable to static which seems like nothing more than an engineering fu**-up.

kenoarto likes this.
  12. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.