1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL System Mod - For Free!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So, I was really dissappointed with the sound of the stereo in my '07 Prius with the JBL 9 speaker system. Mainly, no highs and the mids were muddy. So,

1. Disconnect the center dash speaker. (as recommended on Prius Chat). Using just your fingernails, pry up the speaker from the side away from the front windshield. The side near the windshield acts like a hinge. Once you lift it up, simply unplug the speaker. Then replace.

2. Go to the "sound" screen for the audio system. Do the following settings.
    -Make the front rear fader, one click to the rear
    -Make the treble setting to the max position
    -Make the midrange setting four clicks below center
    -Make the bass setting at the middle.

To me, this sounds a million times better the "flat" settings with the front, center speaker installed.

My 02.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 5 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]456056[/snapback]</div>
    Agree. Depending on the kind of music, you might want to adjust the bass up and the mid down some.

Definitely the highs are not crisp enough. I'm thinking of replacing the front tweeters as a first step.
    Any recommendations? (I'm a jazz/classical music person most of the times, but occasionally I have
    a primal urge for some screaming guitars - a la Rundgren).

3. emtownsend

emtownsend New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind some speaker suggestions too. Are there any gotchas with replacing the speakers? No funny "amping" of the speakers or anything else? Just regular speakers as long as they physically fit?
    Thanks!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the JBL system, the left and right channels to the rear doors are normal, the cross-over between the lower speakers and the upper tweeters is a capacitor on the tweeter, IIRC. The worthless center channel in the front has its own amp output, as do the tweeters and full-range speakers in the front doors, i.e., the cross-over for the front doors is in the amp under the passenger seat. The amp is also the signal source for all the speaker beeps.

Read the posts on this forum for lots of discussions of speakers and amp replacement. The steering wheel controls and Audio screen controls are integrated with the JBL system so you lose some functionality if you change the head or amp. Like many other Prius systems, they are really special purpose computers which communicate over their own LAN.

5. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 5 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]456056[/snapback]</div>
    Wow!! Disappointed in the JBL 9 speaker system?!?! You should hear the stereo system that comes in my '07 Prius Touring. With standard equipment the stereo and speakers that come with it are nothing to write home about. For the amount of money that the Prius cost, you would think that Toyota could afford to put a 9 speaker JBL in all their models rather than as an option. My friend has the JBL system in his and it sounds a million times better than mine. :(

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ Jun 7 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]457207[/snapback]</div>
    Then listen to the JBL Audio in the Camry.

Our 02 Camry with 6 speakers (& JBL) sounded much better than my Prius.

7. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both a 07 Prius Touring Edition and a 07 Camry XLE both have the JBL system. But the one in the Camry blows the one's in the Prius out of the water. I think its becasue of a bigger and better Amp (440 watts) and DDS Speakers (Distributed Subwoofer System) :p vs Prius's 385 watt amp and no DDS speakers :( .

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wayne60014 @ Jun 7 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]457454[/snapback]</div>
    I'm pretty sure the quality of the speakers have to do with it too. I haven't heard the 06+ JBL Audio on the Prius though.

9. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wayne60014 @ Jun 7 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]457454[/snapback]</div>
    The Camry's trunk helps. It's hard to get that "full" sound in a hatchback.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 7 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]457637[/snapback]</div>

My 07 JBL sounds exactly the same as my 05 JBL. Neither are impressive.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A