1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jdm prius gen 0

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by acarapella, Nov 26, 2023.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a gen 0. For
    Those who don’t know, the 97, 98, 99 and possibly 2000 prius was different then our gen one. They had cylindrical cells and a different battery ecu. I have found a source for those so I was feeling super safe about importing a prius, but I just realized not all jdm cars are obd2 compliant as far back as 1998. I have techstream and a foxwell that both do euro and jdm but not sure the prius complies. Anyone know?

thanks

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're talking about the little coop the sedan whatever has a trunk I don't know if I'd call that a generation zero but whatever trips your trigger. That would be generation one I would think the little coupe . The original Prius the one that was quickly gone and on to the generation too which in reality is what started all the hubbub It seems anyway but you're talking about the little coupe. If you're getting ready to import this vehicle why not have somebody take a picture under the dash lip where the OBD2 port is supposed to be and actually physically see if you see one rather than just asking folks all over wherever? It seems to me ask the person you're buying the car from no matter where the car is coming from or who's doing what everybody now has a camera phone and wants to use it more than anything in this world I'm sure you must have millions of pictures of this car You're getting ready to import it buy it do something with it send it far away on a boat so I imagine you are doing your due diligence? And in the pictures has anybody asked somebody to photograph the lower edge of the dash where my calves are My knees go etc looking up from the floor It's a pretty simple request I would think.? But to be honest with you I've sat in about three of these little cars with the trunk and I've never looked to see if there was a OBD port I knew when I looked in the car that when any of this broke it was going to be a big challenge to find any of this and just said well it's very cool but it's not practical or is the generation two on the other hand part seemingly are endless.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I can't help you with that one, A-pella, but would love to see pics when you get them.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, he's not, he's talking about the first Prius released in Japan before what we have come to know as the Gen 1 was released worldwide.
    Exactly.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well then he's in real big something because the Gen 1 you can't even repair practically anymore so the Gen zero with the round cells will be lots of fun yeah everybody has round modules avail. Just that no other parts of the car that you'll need to find like a fan switch or bezel or anything like that so kind of makes those things kind of pointless cool vehicles. End of life well past. Just gets to the point where you're scared to move the vehicle what will break next or what can I find or replace been there done that enough very cool enjoy.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm. I have no problem finding parts - so many of these cars are being discarded, there are plenty of parts cars. I got one now - what parts do you need? I got everything except two passenger doors.

I'm just too old to do the little bit of work involved - takes me forever to make progress. Right now, I have one car that only needs the brake booster replaced. Another only needs a gas filler neck replaced and the steering rack cleaned/replaced. One just needs the body parts I replaced painted to match. Another needs both batteries. That parts car I have - it a beauty, only 70k miles, but the side got hit. I got all the parts to fix it, instead of making it a parts car, but I'd have to cut the middle pillar out and weld in another. That's a fairly typical job at any body shop, I just don't have time.

I got the parts to fix all of them, spare batteries, seats, etc. And I have two other cars that are my daily drivers and don't need anything. I drive them all over the country - 50mpg on the highway. They're all so cheap that I just throw them away if they break. Part them out.

My net investment on all the subsequent Gen1s I've owned is less than the cost of the first one I bought back in '02.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again, the OP is talking about the Prius generation that was released only in the Japanese domestic market. The only examples of these cars are the ones privately imported. I doubt there is a significant supply of these cars in the US.

8. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I responded to TB2 saying "because the Gen 1 you can't even repair practically anymore."