1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jeep Recall - 2 in one week

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ServoScanMan, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am amazed by the number of people that have to tell me about a Prius recall at work and call me at home (in-laws). But, not one of them talk about any 'America' manufactured vehicle recalls. Well, Jeep has another recall. I'm not picking on Jeep because it's an American, I only bring it up because my in-laws slam me about my Prius. :rolleyes: ...and yes they own a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chrysler announces second Jeep recall in 2 days Bloomberg News
    56 minutes ago

DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler Group will recall 131,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees because of a defective engine fan, and Connecticut's attorney general called for an investigation into the SUV after reports of a separate problem.

It was the second Grand Cherokee recall in as many days.

Plastic blades on engine-cooling fans in model-year 2000 and 2002 vehicles can fly off and injure bystanders, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Tuesday.

Chrysler said Monday that it would recall 111,600 Grand Cherokees from 2003 and 2004 because their heated front seats may catch on fire.

Separately, Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal sent a letter to NHTSA asking for an investigation into late-model Grand Cherokees after reports of the vehicles accelerating without warning. He didn't say how many incidents were recorded.

"We will certainly look into what the attorney general says," said NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson. "We take these matters very seriously."

He said he hadn't seen Blumenthal's letter and said NHTSA hasn't begun any investigation.

Incidents of sudden acceleration are "caused by driver error," Chrysler spokesman Max Gates said in an e-mail. Grand Cherokee "meets or exceeds every applicable federal safety standard."

In his letter, Blumenthal said a Grand Cherokee suddenly accelerated and killed a man at a car wash in Hamden, Conn., in February.

"The rate and severity of these sudden-acceleration incidents suggest a severe structural flaw, certainly more than simple coincidence," Blumenthal said in a statement.

The fan-related recall, which will begin in July, affects only Grand Cherokees with 4-liter engines. No accidents or injuries related to the problem were reported, Gates said. NHTSA received 151 complaints of defective fan blades.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would probably give them a little ring, just to make sure neither of the recalls applies to them. :D

Just because you care.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 14 2006, 09:49 AM) [snapback]271176[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, because you're concerned about their well-being of course! In the same way they were concerned about yours. :)

And because you wouldn't want this:

"Plastic blades on engine-cooling fans in model-year 2000 and 2002 vehicles can fly off and injure bystanders, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Tuesday."

to happen to them. Ouch! :eek: