1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jetta TDI vs Prius

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by producerjohn, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. producerjohn

producerjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Prius Chatters, I know there was a thread about this a couple weeks ago, so I thought some of you might be interested in these videos that show a new Jetta TDI vs a Prius in a one tank from Seattle to San Francisco Challenge.

For the record, we think the Prius is a great car for all the right reasons. Maybe after seeing these videos, the Jetta TDI may be added to the list of great cars for the same reasons.
    Thanks

PS sorry about all the links.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEt_7zH-ro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znEt_7zH-ro[/ame]

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm truly interested in us continuing the debate with you... please don't post the same thread in multiple locations though...that will be seen as trolling.

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is a pic of my most recent tank. The MFD says it all.

Attached Files:

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The thing I find interesting is the emphasis on one tank of gas. Assuming the TDI has the same 14.5 gallon fuel tank that the gas models have that certainly gives it much more range even if they got exactly the same fuel mileage. The Prius tank is 11.9 gallons... even 1st grade math would show the TDI as being able to travel further on one tank.

The other merits are fair for what you did. I believe 48mpg for the Prius on the highway is fair for normal driving. You could have flogged it like many do when they test them but you seem to have fairly tested it.

Unfortunately your test doesn't show real life mileage for most people. This is where typically the TDI falls considerably short and the Prius does even better. If your Prius got 48mpg on a all highway trip that very same Prius would have gotten 52 or 53 if your trip was split up with a percentage of city driving like most people do.

Regardless, good numbers and I believe it was a fair representation of what someone could expect on a long road trip... just doesn't really take everything into account. It hits on 1 thing.... but fails to mention that here in Phoenix diesel is $.50 more per gallon than regular unleaded and has been as high as $.75 more. I know, I have a diesel Dodge truck and I hit the diesel pumps....

That brings me to one quick comment regarding your "1 tank of fuel challenge". My Dodge truck would have given your TDI a run for it's money.... but the "minor" detail here is my truck has a 35 gallon tank. Heck, if I had a 125 gallon Transfer Flow tank, with my 20mpg I could all the way from my home in Phoenix to visit family in Long Island...again, on one tank.

Mike

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the chance to test drive the Jetta TDI at my local dealer. It is an okay car, but i woudl still take my Prius. And the fact that regular unleaded has dropped to 3.97 in some places here with diesel still at 4.50+, any mileage bump in the Jetta is offset by the price of the gas.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.