1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jiffy Lube NOT as bad as you think

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Jul 2, 2009.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I'm going to get hell for this but let me explain. I have mostly had a majority of my oil changes at Jiffy Lube. I always fill with synthetic and watch them like a hawk. Anyway, I drove in and met the service advisor at the entrance to the service bay. WELL! He knew off the top of his head that I needed 3.9 quarts. I also told him to rotate the tires. He knew about 35/33 right off the top of his head!!! I don't increase the pressures as I live in Staten Island. The roads here are like Kabul. They also changed the CVT fluid. Is that the same as the transaxle? Sorry for the dumb question. I know more than the average person but I am not as smart as you folks. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hope they didn't put Dexron III into your transaxle.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That certainly helps but is no guarantee, see below.

Yes, what fluid and what qty was used? If the replacement fluid was not 4 US quarts of Toyota ATF WS (I doubt Jiffy Lube would stock that) then your transaxle may be in trouble...

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suspect Jiffy Lube is just like almost anyplace, it all depends on the knowledge, integrity and quality of the individual running the place. If you've happened to find a Jiffy Lube where they seem to know and be able to handle your Prius? Great.

For me? Jiffy Lubes are okay for my 93 Honda but no way am I gambling that "Jiffy" can handle my new Prius. Especially when you are talking synthetic oil of a specific relatively unpopular weight and the removal and replacement of plates beneath the auto.

Plus regardless of what the Head Tech might tell you when you pull in, you Still need to watch them like a hawk. I used to run full synthetic in my Nissan Pickup. I was obssesive. It happened at least once a year, I'd pull into Jiffy Lube, get assurances from the "manager" that they were putting full synthetic in, and then I'd watch them start to fill it with the regular Dino Oil. If I didn't stick around and watch I'm 100% convinced I would of gotten the regular Dino Oil, been charged for the synthetic. Regardless of the supposed knowledge of the few, I'd still be very nervous about a Jiffy Lube team taking the time to fill to 3.9 quarts, and handle all the minutia of difference it takes to deal with The Prius. Go ahead, Jiffy Lube if you want. Not me.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After they scratched my car twice (2 visits) I gave up on them. They just cannot figure out how NOT to drag those damned hoses across your paint. :mad:

6. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually they showed me the bottle and it took 4 quarts and it was genuine Toyota. Believe me, I was skeptical. I also saw the color of the fluid that was removed. Didn't look too pretty, but I am sure all fluid turn that color after a while. If they screw it up they're gonna pay. I drove it some 100 miles so far but who knows? It was one of those things. Convenient. I'll keep y'all posted in the coming months.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  8. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Question. If the tranny fluid is mainly for lubrication and cooling and not operating clutch bands then is a regular tranny fluid really the best?:confused: I don't know so that is why I am asking folks.:confused: There is another thread on tranny fluid that makes me wonder what is best. I guess the electric motor cannot be exposed to a fluid that would somehow degrade the wiring. :confused::confused::confused: Who really knows?

9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Yep, when I can. I do have a local shop that I know the manager and he lets me in the shop as the work is being done. He remembers me from the VOTEC center where I was an instructor before 911. I trust him. Find a mechanic and shop you can trust folks and give them your business.:rockon:

10. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i dont know if you know about this but watch.. i know its an old video.

i'll never ever bring my car to any jiffy lube no matter how crappy my car is. period.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Was that what they did to me back when I had a manual-transmission Geo? Whatever they drained back out at the transmission repair shop, it wasn't the right stuff for the job...

12. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've had anyone change the oil in ANY of my vehicles in probably 8 years.

I do it myself, that way I know what is put in, how much and the quality of parts I use.

I'm about to hit 5000 on my new Prius. I think I'll be ordering some Amsoil for it.

13. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well it sounds like you found a good one, Jason...kudos! But nobody loves your car more than you so always check levels, yourself, and keep good maintenance notes. This helps keep up with what's needed but, also, can save you money if you ever do see a shady mechanic who tries to sell you stuff the car doesn't need.
    Like my son-in-law....one of his front tires (2012 Sienna) was wearing unevenly on the inside so I told him to take it somewhere for an alignment. He went to Brakes Plus because he found a coupon for $80. The came out to him with a list of "broken" items and told him he had "frame shift" so needed a LOT of things. He called me and I told him just to just thank them and just pay for the alignment. Then, he brought me the receipt and, surprise, they had written down NOTHING about the junk they tried to sell him! (And his alignment was off pretty bad...glad it was fixed.)
    I've asked a number of mechanics what "frame shift" was and have yet to find someone who's heard of it...must be in the realm of "blinker fluid" !!!