1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JiffyLube told me this about my MAINT REQUIRED light...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sparky9292, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took my Prius 2005 into JiffyLube for an oil change. After declining the $64 dollar price to fill it with synthetic oil, the mechanic said that the Maint Required idiot light only turns on when the sophisticated sensior measures varnish levels and turns on.

He said it would automatically turn off after an hour after the oil change.

It's been 24 hours and the light is still on?

Did they actually change my oil? Why is the light still on?:confused:

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and thats why i dont go to jiffy lube,..... look for the reset info here....

3. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He fibbed? Hmmmm

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try doing this:
    Press start button until car turns the ignition on
    Make sure the odometer displays "ODO" NOT TRIP
    Press and hold the ODO trip reset button in
    press start button until car turns off
    press start button until car turns back to ON
    Hold the ODO button in until all the flashing lines on the odometer go away and the mileage returns and the maint reset light stops flashing
    Your'e done.

1 person likes this.
  5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They didn't know how to reset it so they made up a story. Or they were too lazy to reset it so they made up a story. Or the guy was delusional, hence the story. Take your pick.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cars (?GM only?) have oil life sensors, so that part isn't a complete fabrication. But the Prius does not. The Maint light starts flashing 4500 miles after it was last reset and starts beeping and stays lit 5000 miles after it's last reset and it will stay on until you reset it again...whether you've actually changed the oil or not.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes, its posted elsewhere but I will list the procedure here.
    step 1 set the ODO display where it shows the cars ODO Miles (not trip A or B before turning off car)
    step 2 hold the ODO button while turning the car on to READY mode continue to hold for about 5 seconds while the ------ (dashes) on the ODO disappear.

For further instructions this is also listed inside the owners manual. The Maintenance required reminder resets and will come back on at 5000 miles regardless the current quality of the oil.

1 person likes this.
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My GF's Civic has an oil life sensor. Maybe all Japanese cars look alike to the Jiffy Loob guy.

ObOilChangeAdvice: Always check the oil level yourself before driving away from every oil change, no matter who does it. This can prevent some dumb mistakes from becoming expensive mistakes.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No such thing. This person has no idea what he is talking about. Every vehicle with an oil life monitor must be reset at oil change time, sometimes (Expensive German cars, some VW's, etc) needing a dealership scantool

The expensive German cars use a software routine that examines total fuel used, engine run time, start cycles, etc, to determine when to turn on the Change Oil indicator. The GM oil life monitor works the same way

The Prius turns on the Maint Reqd reminder at 5,000 miles, period. Actually warns around 4,500 miles

How? By magic?

Yep, it sure is. And will remain on until you go through the documented reset procedure

Good question. Wonder what they refilled it with? Wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the oil fill cap and dipstick are still present and accounted for. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to check if the oil filter is barely hand tight, or if the drain plug is dripping

Most likely, next time you change the oil yourself, the oil filter will be on super tight, and so will the drain plug. Perhaps the drain plug will be cross-threaded too

10. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's a thought. I used to take my SUV to WalMart and paid about $50 for a synthetic oil change. I take my Prius to my dealer and pay about $50 and get the oil change, the tires rotated, the brakes checked AND a car wash. Last time I priced an oil change at one of those 10 minute oil change places, they wanted more than $60 for a synthetic change.

Oh yeah, I get my service in 29 minutes ... or less.

Your oil is the life blood of your car and you change it 2 or 3 times a year ... with average miles driven. Do you want to trust your car to someone who knows what they are doing and uses the right parts ... or do you want to go somewhere where they don't have a clue, use who knows what kind of oil, and probably stick a JUNK Fram filter on your motor?

There is no such thing as a "sophisticated sensior measures varnish " device on a Prius ... or any other car that I know about.

11. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Jiffy Lube guy is an idiot.

2 people like this.
  12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, Dogfriend for saving me the time of typing a reply. (except this one, of course)

Sparky, if / when you return to that same Jiffy Lube, take your manual with you and be sure to whack him over the head with page 122, section j. Swing hard; there's a lot of thickness you're going to have to get through.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NEWSFLASH!
    Leader of the top Prius web site advocating violence against those who sell fossil fuels. New eco-terror movement?!

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone who references me as a leader has far bigger problems than eco-terrorism.

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think he was advocating violence, just negative reinforcement*, like when you catch your dog soiling the carpet. :madgrin:

* Dogfriend does not advocate hitting your pet, but he might take a swing at the Jiffy Lube guy if he thought it might do some good.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What I would really worry about is the Iffy Boob guy pulls the Prius in, and the gas engine is off. So, and this is VERY important, he does NOT power down

With the car up on the hoist, in the middle of the oil change with the pan empty, the Prius decides to restart the gas motor to charge the traction battery

Oops

Good idea, except I wouldn't waste my time swinging the owner manual, possibly crinkling it in the process. My fist works SO much better

:hail:

Forgive us, Oh Glorious Leader

It has been my experience you will probably have to take quite a few swings. Some of those skulls are positiviely Neanderthal in construction

1 person likes this.
  17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow! Also, anyway to make it only start with the FOB in the slot?

18. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On your 2009 you can turn off the SKS system by pressing the 'key' button at the bottom of the dash. As I understand it the 2010 does not have a way to turn off the SKS.

1 person likes this.
  19. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could disable SKS using the button under the steering column, but what would prevent Jiffy Lube guy from leaving the fob in the slot?

Easier and safer for your car to avoid Jiffy Lube guy altogether.

1 person likes this.
  20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep/just thinking! So if you asked for the key after he pulled it in you would be good to go.