1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JimN...Re:VentureShield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Palmetto, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jim,
    I noticed that a couple of years ago that you posted your experiences regarding the installation of the VentureShield product.

I am waiting for my baby to arrive (in hopefully less than 9 months), & I've been investigating VentureShield.

How has your finish been holding up and are you satisfied?

I would have to drive about 2-2.5 hours to get to the nearest installer. No biggy because I have family near the shop. Thanks!

2. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope anyone who has used this product will share your experience. :)
    Thank you.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My car was over a year old when I learned of the film. The film was installed in August 2007. I drove across the state (I seem to remember 1.5 hours) as there are only two installers on the opposite sides of the same town. I am very satisfied with Reno's install and am still very happy with the product. I was invoiced $500 for the bumper, hood & light packages. I have not experienced any problems. The seams are almost always undetectable. If you aren't careful wax will accumulate at the edges. It is much easier to clean and remove bird poop. I washed the car this morning and did not notice any ill effects.

At the time of installation I didn't have the lower grill blocked and I pulled the upper grill's insulation. I'd still deliver the car with the lower grill unblocked but would leave the upper blocked.

Now that I know better this is what I intend to do "next time".

1. Get as much of the car covered (I like calling it "shrinkwrapped") ASAP. If templates don't exist for the doors & fenders ask if he would cover them & the cost. Maybe affix rubber trim around the car at the seam line.

2. Instead of the rear bumper applique put the rubber strip across the top of the rear bumper.

If you don't have anything on the rear bumper you can get the rear bumper applique from a dealer and ask your installer how much it would cost to affix it at the same time. It should be much less than the dealer will charge. It will probably be cheaper to buy it on line.

There is an optimum temperature range for the installation. If it is too hot or too cold the material is more difficult to affix so the job will probably take longer.

Ask if there is a cash discount.

See if you can make a tentative appointment with the installer particularly if it is a small shop. I dealt with a one man shop who installs the film one day a week.

I chose the VentureShield over the 3M film based on the few posting here by other satisfied owners and visiting the 3M & VentureShield websites.

I believe inflating the tires is the best return on investmet (more mpg for $0), the grill insulation is the 2nd best return on investment (more mpg for <$10), and the VentureShield is insurance. If it stops a scrape (might not stop a ding) it will pay for itself.

4. Palmetto

Palmetto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow,
    Thanks for all the useful info. Here's a few things I learned that others may find useful:

3M bought VentureShield, however, according to my (future) installer 3M is staying totally "hands off" and VentureShield continues its buisness as it did before they were sold.

I was quoted $241.31 OTD for the VentureShield on the hood and front fenders. The whole car price is more than I can afford at this time.

You referred to the optimum temperature when installing the product. It is not an easy application. As a matter of fact, the VentureShield headquarters in MA told me the experience of the installer is quite important. Finding someone who has several installs "under his belt" is probably somewhat important for this product.

My Toyota dealer told me I should not consider the rear bumper applique. It is a thin piece of film that doesn't do much to protect the rear bumper. I have seen the rubber protector strip for sale on this website that looks much better and plan to use that. Some have commented that it has a useless adhesive strip on the back that is funtional for a short period of time. I plan on purchasing an industrial cement at home depot that is specifically used for gluing plastic to plastic and will use that.

Regarding the grill block...I don't know much about this. I hope to learn more by searching this site. I'm a little intimidated on putting this thing in place. I saw somebody's photo journal online on how to install a horn which required removing the front grill. It looked (much) less than straight forward. I need to do more homework on this.

Thanks for your reply. I am so excited because my dealer emailed me Friday saying he expects my car to arrive mid-May! Yippi! Thanks and best wishes-