1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Joe Hauler trailer hitch motorcycle carrier

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rowdyboy, Feb 27, 2009.

1. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an '07 Prius. Is it possible to put a 2" receiver trailer hitch on it and install a Joe Hauler motorcycle rack to carry my Vespa scooter. I'm guessing it to be 300+ pounds. Can straps clipped to the rear access hatch take some of the tongue weight? Is it a bad idea- not even feasible?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone will probably chime in that they've done it...but it seems like a bad idea to me...that's a lot of weight set pretty far back.

But here's a 2" hitch. http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I wouldn't do it. The lightest Vespa weighs 225 lb and the heaviest 325 lb. Those are "dry weights" which means no gas, no oil, no acid in the battery, etc. You can add at least another 25 lb. The carrier weighs 50 so that is 300 - 500 lb.

A Class I hitch only is rated for 200 lb tongue weight
    A Class II hitch is rated for 350 lb
    A class III hitch is rated for 500 lb

I wouldn't use a Joe Hauler with anything less than a Class III hitch and I doubt you can find one for the Prius. You would also need to add heavier duty springs and shocks.

4. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The very simple answer is .... no.

... Brad

5. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be honest you'd be better off hiring a vehicle when you need to transport the scooter - or alternatively install a regular curt hitch and get a small trailer. Towing that kind of weight would be doable... Although there's mixed reports on towing. I suspect Daryll would be a good chap to talk to...

6. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd agree that the trailer route would be the way to go for that amount of weight. I just put a Curt reciever on my Prius. But now I need to wade through the various posts to figure out the wiring side of it. If there ever was a good item for the shop.PriusChat store to provide is a specific wiring harness that matches specific instructions by one of our members (like Nate or EVNut). What I've seen is some VERY good instructions from EVNut, but the on-line sites to get the Camry trailer wiring kit don't look like what's in the pictures on how to mod the pins...

7. Omita

Omita New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Coastal Tech hitch and pull a trailer but I always make sure that the tongue weight is very low. However, this can also cause your trailer to track poorly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The skiff I pull is under 200 Lbs when you add the dolly mast and other gear on the trailer. Plus once you add the tongue wait of the trailer, the hitch receiver, etc that LBS really add up. I make a huge effort to keep the tongue weight low and I actually weight it after setting up the trailer. Plus, I have a full motorcycle suspension on the trailer but I still am careful on bumps.

Very few cars in the US these days actually sanction a trailer. A lot of cars that advertise their pulling capability in the EU actually will void the warenty of the same make and model car in the US.

As other have said, I think you are pushing your luck with 500lbs.

Attached Files:

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is unlawful in Australia to haul any trailer with the Prius as it has a 0 towing capacity. Check your local laws.
    The hitch mounted bike carrier? I wouldn't think so. Hire a ute, or use another car you own plus a trailer.

9. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    ??? Hauling weight has nothing to do with tongue weight. Tongue weight is the weight of the trailer hitch when "balanced", i.e - as it would be towed. Please see HowStuffWorks "How Tongue Weight Works"

Using the above logic would indicate that an 8,000lb trailer would have a 8,000lb tongue weight - which it does not.

For the avg weights you've described above - a Class I hitch should be sufficient, but I'd probably install a Class II to be safe, and have a heavier hitch/receiver. I don't think you can get a 2" ball for a Class I hitch.

Now - as to installing on a Prius - I guess it's technically possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

10. Aces

Aces Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  11. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yep, that'd do it, all right.

Of course, you also install some wheelie bars on the back end so you don't tip over.....