1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

John1701: Mirror Mod Q

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by InTheWASide, Aug 23, 2004.

1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

So, I checked John's site again today as I sometimes do and I noticed something I was wondering about...

Is this just tape or? Does it essentially make it permanently darker/"green" mode at night? Any particular material you used for a specific reason?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, it makes the darkening effect darker at night. So headlights are dimmed a bit more.

It also creates a really wild effect when backing out of my dark garage (facing north) into blazing sunlight (from the south). You can see the mirror quickly change modes. The green rapidly vanishes. It's pretty cool!

The blue is just a piece of sheet plastic. I was shopping at Target and noticed it in the office supply section. That's what started all this. The blue was the darkest. So I decided to give that a try. Anything could work, even two layers of a lighter plastic.

I literally just cut a small section out and taped it on. The mirror didn't even need to be removed.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried just holding my finger on it last night when a car was behind me and it got a lot darker from where it was before I did it, with car in same place.

4. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I think I'm gonna have to go and do this. I complain from time to time about how an autodimming mirror sure has to be extra bright before it dims any...

This will be perfect!

Thanks!