1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Join the Great Prius Docs Download Co-Op of 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PhilCase, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

OK, here's the deal ...

Based on numerous posts here and other places it is known that it's possible to download all the Toyota Prius Docs from the Toyota Techinfo site in a day with a $10 subscription -- but it is also documented to be an all day affair.

For those of us willing to spend the money, but find the "time issue" problematic, I propose the following:

Let's form a group of anywhere from 5 to 20 participants to divide the project into more easily digestable chunks.

Each member of the group would have to get a techinfo subscription. (ergo paid = rights to the files.)

We divide the project between the participants. (Ergo less time for each individual.)

Each participant would then upload their portion of the project to a closed access FTP server.

After the full work is uploaded, only then would the group of participants have access to download the entire project. (ergo don't do your share = no files for you.)

The FTP server would be up only for a week or two upon completion of the project for contributers to get the entire project.

I can provide the FTP server on a fast pipe and coordinate the project division (as well as do my slice of the work.)

If you would be interested in participating in such a project collective, please either PM or email me.

Thanks,

Phil Case
    Email removed by Moderator

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The idea of paying for one day's worth of downloading and receving more than you could have downloaded in one day is attractive. Almost as attractive as buying one music CD, posting the files online, and in return having access to more CDs than you could afford.

I suppose that the same argument of the huge corporation that doesn't need the money could be used.

But in the end, the same illegal sharing of files you didn't pay for also applies. I would be more in favor of going to a friend's house and using their high-speed connection for a day.

Also, I don't know how the Toyota docs work, but if you use FireFox, go get the extension called "DownloadThemAll". It allows you to rapidly and easily download multiple files at the same time. It greatly speeds the process of grabbing multiple files simultaneously.

3. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony is right, I think Toyota could rightfully get their "undies in a bunch" over people doing this. The real downside being that Toyota would no longer make the manuals available in a web based format forcing everyone to buy the $400+ set in hard copy form.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

But doesn't each of the individuals doing the downloading pony up their $10 to Toyota for their days worth of downloading? And it is only the members of the group who would have access to the collected files?

By the way, discovered the tech site on my own Friday night. I spent my $10 yesterday and did the downloads myself. Grabbed only what I wanted and did not get all of the repair manual (the most arduous task). I did not notice until midway through that you click on the "save" icon to save the files. I had been printing them out!

5. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"101737)</div>
    It's been previously pointed out that it is indeed possible to download all the Prius Related Docs in a single day... therefore the premise of your argument isn't applicable.

I knew when I posted this that some would have issues with it... so be it.

The facts are simple... Toyota makes the same money that they would if each participant did his own downloading individually, ergo no financial "hit" to Toyota.

Actually, truth be told, Toyota might just make extra money from this as it may invite someone who would otherwise not be willing to make the time investment to participate and pony up for a subscription.

All that being said, a good discussion of the project is always a healthy thing regardless of the perspective. :)

Phil

6. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg\";p=\"101796)</div>
    Actually I do use wget for a variety of projects. I was not sure if the toyota PDF's lived behind a CGI script. (If so that would make wget useless)

Have you seen a WGET script that collects all the Prius related files?

As I have not yet subscribed, the documents you provided links too are not accessible to me. I assume they are index files or table of contents to various sub-documents?

Thanks,

Phil

7. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

OK, download positions are filling quickly for the Prius Docs Download Co-Op, but there is need for a volunteer (or two, or three) for another job:

We need a few PDF "stitcher's"; someone to take the many individual PDF files and combine them into comprehensive "Manual-like" files.

The current plan is for the files to be available in two forms to participants. A "native" directory structure that emulates the techinfo website and a "manuals" directory with assembled manuals made from the component PDF files.

Anyone interested in being a "stitcher" would still be required to subscribe to the techinfo site, but would not have to do a "share" in the downloading. (Obviously you would need to obtain the source files from the project FTP server.)

When the time comes, you will have to provide me your techinfo account information as proof that you have subbed. (I will log into it once as verification of it's existence.) And obviously, you need to have Adobe Acrobat (Not just the reader) for this task, as well as a functional working knowledge of your FTP client.

Please be aware that this is not a quick job as there are a great many files to be assembled.

If interested please email me at [email protected].

Phil

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PhilCase\";p=\"101799)</div>
    They are. But it's very easy to see where the 'actual' documents are housed.

Humm... Maybe. But with out a file list, it's kinda pointless.

I hope they aren't. Toyota spent a bit of time figuring out how to keep people out of the pay-per-view areas.

The first five links were compiled from an index list of all the files available for download... There are 252 more of them.

Since the day by day rate is $10, for roughly 24 hours, that is more than enough time to download all the files and still have time left over!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PhilCase\";p=\"101830)</div>
    HAHAH!!! No, no, no, no. Sorry, but that is a waste of time. The PDF files are already index and linked to one another. You just need to keep the PDF files in the same directory structure...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PhilCase\";p=\"101830)</div>
    It _is_ a quick and easy job. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn’t have the files to begin with.

From Techinfo:
    [hr:3fe85ae406]
    Your subscription allows you personal access to view the content and is not a site license or group account.

Copyright and Ownership

All information in this site is protected by copyright. You may only use the information, text or graphics contained in this site for your personal use and may not reproduce, adapt or publish it, in whole or in part, for any purpose without the express written consent of Toyota Motor Sales, USA Inc.. The Toyota and Lexus names, marks and designs are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. The Toyota and Lexus marks and designs may not be used, downloaded, copied or distributed in any way.

[hr:3fe85ae406]

It seems to me, that if anyone partakes in this scam, you would be VIOLATING copyright law.

Is $10, $20, or $30 dollars worth going to prison for up to five (5) years and paying up to $250,000.00 in fines? I’ve heard that prison is a great place for broke tree huggers and nerds.

You were smart enough to buy a Prius, but that's about it.

9. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

Oly, you are certainly entitled to your take on it. And though you may chose to characterize this as a "scam", in short that doesn't make it so.

Obviously such a project is not for you, which is fine.

We obviously disagree on your perspective of a copyright violation here, this is also fine. We see it in a straightforward fashion, each member of the team will pay the same amount you paid for the same files you received. Toyota will be in no way harmed.

As for the particulars of the copyright notice that you quote. I cant help but point out that your having saved the pdfs to your own computer violates the "may not reproduce" clause. Apparently your ok with violating some parts of the copyright yourself, but quick to confront others. Enjoy your prius.

All the best,

Phil

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Moderator note:

Priuschat cannot condone the actions that are being discussed here. What you guys are doing, can be interpreted to the letter of the law regarding violation of copyright laws. I am not going to point fingers at who is judging who, nor am I going to pass any judgement on anyone here. However, this kind of activity can possibly cause a negative backlash against Priuschat from Toyota USA. This thread is officially locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.