1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Join the Resistance!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 22, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by summer and it might possibly go higher! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around earlier! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.29 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of 2007, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM THERE!

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The average here is $3.08 :(

3. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Heh. Most stations here in Southeast CT average between $3.19 and $3.29/gallon.

As for the ExxonMobil thing, I already bought my oil and changed it. However, I only use Shell gasoline, so I've got you covered there.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

3.19 here
    changed oil to Trop Artic Philips 66 synthetic blend and Gasoline I use Shell
    so I am ok with that.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's start a movement!!
    Everyone should participate!

Let's all make a statement to the oil producers by consuming less gasoline.
    The concept is simple: replace your current vehicle with a hybrid. If you can't afford a hybrid, then work to reduce the consumption of your current vehicle by coasting more, eliminating jack-rabbit starts, by anticipating traffic conditions, and by driving at reasonable speeds.

Come on, everyone! If we all do this, it will send a strong message to those damned oil companies who are charging way too much for America's undying addiction to oil.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There's no way this would do anything good... a first year economics student can tell you that.

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that you manage to convince millions of people that this is a really good idea, and get them to swear off buying from Exxon and Mobile stations for the next 6 months.

In the short term, you'd see demand for the other stations increase while supply to those stations stays the same... thus the Prise for those stations would go UP. Mean while, Exxon and Mobile would have excess supply compared for their remaining customers, so their prices would go down. This is all short term.

In the long term, the global supply of gas hasn't changed. The demand for gas hasn't changed. Exxon and Mobile would adjust their buying strategies for their new number of customers, as would the rest of the stations. The price of gas, overall, would be completely unaffected.

What Proco posted *could* happen, but only if the companies are stockpiling months worth of gas... Otherwise their buying strategies from the refineries would just change.

So in short, go ahead and do this if you must, you'll only be hurting yourself, both in time and money. Time, because you'll have to drive those extra few miles to a different pump than the one closest to your route of travel, and money because those extra few miles will cost you (yes, i know it's only a few pennies, but that adds up ever 50 tanks).

All of this talk of refusing to buy gas from so and so, or on certain days, etc really just proves how gullible and stupid the American public is. the only way to effect a market this big and complex is for a large number of people to dramatically decrease their gas consumption, thus decreasing the global demand.

Also, this "mathematician" is laughable... If that happens, he'll clearly create 300 million pieces of e-mail within 8 days, however as any good mathematician would know (and i'm not even all that good at math anymore, it's been a few yers :p), the probability of overlap in recipients is extremely high in such a large, interconnected network. He would be lucky to reach half as many people in 8 days.

8. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm getting ready to buy a PUT on ExxonMobile stock. When the Resistance force is ready to fight, my pocket will be growing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The only way to lower gas prices is to vote the oil companies out of the White House.

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Out of principle (I realize that it might be in vain), I NEVER buy gas from Exxon or Mobil. They are by far the worst of the oil companies (and they are in some pretty bad company). For one thing, they totally screwed over the fishermen (including my wife's cousin) who lost their businesses as a result of the Exxon Valdez oil spill. They haven't paid any of the damages that they were ordered to pay.
    Of course, as others have posted, that is only symbolic. I just can't stand the thought of sucking off a hose that says "ExxonMobil". However, by driving a hybrid, I feel like I'm doing something real, in my own small way, to stick it to the oil companies.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ May 22 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]447522[/snapback]</div>
    Well that's akin to voting big money out of the White House, so good luck with that since both sides get to the WH by means of money. The only thing you would be changing is the source. :rolleyes:

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ May 22 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]447489[/snapback]</div> Bah Humbug!! Change you username to "Scrooge" and your avatar to . . .[attachmentid=8253] :p

Wildkow

Attached Files:

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 22 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]447536[/snapback]</div>
    1. Campaign finance reform
    2. Public financing of all federal elections
    3. Ban lobbyists

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 22 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]447534[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto here. I stopped buying their gas over a year ago based on their environmental practices and philosophies. Most times, environmental mismanagement goes hand in hand with humanitarian issues and causes. Many people are affected by the manner in which they conduct their business.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead, how about making the price of gas equal to its cost? I mean full cost, not just refining and distribution.

15. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ May 22 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]447511[/snapback]</div>
    Brilliant minds think alike! :p

Kow

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You ignorant putz, do you have any idea what happens to people [or at
    least used to, back when administrators actually had any control of
    things] who propagate internet chain letters? Lost internet access,
    that's what. With good reason, because of the geometric growth.
    Buy a clue. Snopes is a good place to look for one.
    _H*

17. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 22 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]447539[/snapback]</div>
    rAmen.

Kow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 22 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]447544[/snapback]</div>
    [attachmentid=8256]

Wildkow

p.s. Threatening people from behind a keyboard such a display of courage. <_<

Attached Files:

18. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That dancing banana just brings a smile to my face... oh how i've missed it!

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Proco + eagle = Oil Company Payroll :blink: :rolleyes: :huh:

Wildkow

p.s. Will be looking into snopes background next. . . :p

20. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in SOUTH FLORIDA, it does not matter where (or who), you buy gas from; it's all from the same distributor. So go ahead, fight the fight...It won't do any good; in the long run, nothing will change. We as a country are slaves to oil, and that includes those of us enlightened enough to drive Hybrids.