1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JPL Amp input voltage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by petteri, Apr 12, 2005.

1. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have an in dash MP3 player that I want to hook up to my JBL equipped Prius. The MP3 player outputs as such:

Audio outputs: 4V line level front & rear stereo RCA line jacks, 1V stereo RCA sockets on head unit

Is this compatiable with the Prius AMP in terms of wiring it directly to the amp, along side (switched) the Prius head unit outputs? I would only be using either "front" outputs on the MP3 player. I think I read somewhere here that the AMP gets a 1V signal from the head unit is this correct? Will running a 4V line to it cause any problems? Thanks!

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm curious what mp3 player you are using. 4 Volts is unusual. I thought 1 volt is more typical for consumer equipment.

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a Riocar (Empeg) unit. The FAQ for this is located at:

riocar.org

There is a ton of info on the unit there. It is EOL though. :-(

You can find them on Ebay from time to time.

A BBS for the Empeg is: empegbbs.com

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    OK, I've tried to plow through the empeg site but haven't found any info on output levels. If it really is 4volts, you could just build a resistor network to drop the level. I'd expect it to be closer to 1 volt though.

5. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BUMP

anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks!

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would suspect the radio output going to the amp to be line level, 1-2V P-P. Get out an AC meter and check.

As was said, if your MP3 has too high an output, you could create a resistor network to bring it down.

8. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the reply DanMan32. I don't have an AC meter nor would I know how to use one, but I guess I could learn. I'm having problems finding an audio shop here to install my RioCar. The Prius (and the RioCar) scare them off. I've shown people a thread from the RioCar BBS on how someone installed it in a Prius. I just don't have the expertise to install it in my car and I can't seem to convince anybody in South Florida that it can be done! The RioCar also has 1V RCA line outs that I could use. DanMan, know any audio shops in Tampa that would do an install like this? I'm at the point now that I would drive up there to get this done!

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Offhand, no, but I could share my understanding of the car with one, along with my wiring diagram on a stick (I have the PDFs on my USB flash drive).

Really, when it comes to the audio system, there isn't anything substantially special. I understand even some delco radios have the header put out line level output and control output to a separate amp, and have done that for years.

10. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll keep shopping around till either Coastal Dave's kit is shipping (he said many moons ago that he could do the install along with the A/V kit) or I find someone willing to do the job. On a related note do your recommend disconnecting the center speaker while I'm getting this done? I've heard some say it helps while other seem to like it. What's you take?

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No harm in doing so. Pry out the speaker, disconnect the cable, pop speaker back in. I've done it in stop-go driving.