1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Judgement Day - Intelligent Design on Trial

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Nov 15, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have it running via streaming video from the Nova website right now. It is very intersesting to say the least. Scary might be a better word for it. :(

Judgement Day link to the Nova website.

It is detailing the fight of creationism vs evolution in the school system.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmmm... [digging through stuff] ... now where did that flame suit go?

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ 2007 11 15 18:33) [snapback]540331[/snapback]</div>
    What, your computer doesn't have a firewall? :)

Intelligent design isn't. As in, not intelligent, and not design.

Flame away.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Nov 15 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]540376[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

We've had these arguements before and before long someone will be in here to tell me about irreducible complexity. It's the same stuff over and over again and I have a hunch it will be by the same people who completely forgot all of the data we provided last time. Therefore, this post is merely to inform you guys of the show that recently aired. :) lol

5. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Science is so darn controversial.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Wikipedia entry goes into additional detail:

Creation Museum

Personally, I can think of a multitude of better ways to throw away the $20 admission fee for entertainment (and I am within 30 minutes of the place). I mean, c'mon, a Triceratops wearing a saddle?

Distressingly, this joke has supposedly managed to achieve its stated goal of 250k visitors in the first year within six months of opening. If it cost $27 million to build, that's nearly 20% of the cost recovered right there. It would seem that the designers certainly got the correct location to maximize attendance (and profit).

9. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 16 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]540327[/snapback]</div>
    It aired over here last night as it happens. I sat and watched it with our youngest (11).
    Neither of us could understand why people would prefer supernatural myth to the truly magical achievements that we've produced through perspiration and inspiration. Its kind of like the people prefering to believe the moon landing was faked. Perhaps it makes them feel safer, or maybe they think it absolves them from responsibility or guilt. Who knows. Stupid is as stupid does.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Nov 18 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]541268[/snapback]</div>
    The magnificent facets of the natural world and it's simple complexity are more amazing than anything that humans can dream up IMO. To reduce it all down to something that was created is like doing "copy & paste" on a work of Bethoven, or putting your initials on the Mona Lisa. You ignore the subtle complexity and mind-blowing intricacies required to make it all work then claim it for your own. In some ways I can understand their frustration when their god is belittled for I often feel a sense of outrage that they choose belittle every organism that came before them and allowed us to be... us. Pay respects to those that came before you indeed. :)

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the issue in schools comes down to the fact vs belief thing. for those who insist in preserving belief above all, facts that contradict belief are scary. nevermind encouraging your children to become independent thinkers or anything like that :rolleyes:

from the science point of view, at least i am pissed off by the issue because they want to teach belief in a fact-driven course. way to throw kids off there. the whole issue here was religiously motivated, and it was glaringly obvious from the very start.

ID at its best is a feeble attempt at mimicry of legitimate science. flawed logic can appear logical to those who don't know enough to know better.

12. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Nov 19 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]541274[/snapback]</div>
    Not to mention its complex simplicity... ;)

I've never thought science and faith were incompatible. They are different levels of explanation, with vastly different rules.

Physics, biochemistry, cognitive psychology, and linguistics are also different levels of explanation (and each could be invoked to "explain" what I have written here). It happens however, that they, being sciences, share the same rules, albeit different perspectives, methodologies, and metrics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 19 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]541281[/snapback]</div>
    I have this picture of a kind of cargo cult engaging in a sort of strange ritual trying to attract the "cargo gift" of scientific legitimacy by donning the some of trappings of science and chanting some of the words. :lol: Everything has its humourous side...

13. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is there any other religion that attempts to foist its beliefs upon children as fact-based rather than faith-based? I've only lived in a country where Christianity seems to be the default religion, so I'm not aware if this might be the case in other places.

Seriously, if the Hawaiian islanders tried to tell us that their creation story was fact and could be scientifically proven as such - would they not be laughed at? Every single culture seems to have its own creation story, but we don't teach those as "alternatives to evolution." If there were some sort of scientific validity to any of these theories, I would like to see them taught in school. But there isn't any more evidence that the Christians have it correct than there is that the Hindus do.

If I were a science teacher (and while I am a teacher, although not a science teacher) and I were told that I MUST teach intelligent design, I would certainly do so. Only instead of referring to the Christian God, I would be sure to use the name of Thor or Zeus. After all, it really shouldn't matter what we call the designer so long as we accept that there was a designer, right?

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 18 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]541281[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Nov 18 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]541293[/snapback]</div>
    Yesterday, National Public Radio had a report on Patrick Henry College which was founded for the express purpose of grooming smart, ambitious young evangelicals for influential careers in Congress, in the media, in the sciences and on the Supreme Court. Many of the incoming Freshmen have perfect SAT scores and had been also admitted to Ivy League schools. Students must retain and spread their fundamentalist faith in creationism as well as opposition to gay rights and abortion. The school has had more White House interns than Georgetown University. Many of graduates work for conservative Congressmen.

Scary.

Harvard for the Home-Schooled, Christian Crowd

15. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Iht we had this once...the Scopes Monkey Trail. :p

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 18 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]541303[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you can't get everyone from Regent University. You know, Pat Robertson's evangelical college from which the Bush adm began the practice of hiring graduates, such as Monica Goodling who was one of Alberto Gonzalez' whiz kids until she resigned over the federal attorney firing scandal.

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I looked at the Creation Museum slide show. There is no mention of Michael Behe's testimony (Kitzmiller v. Dover) that astrology is considered science by creationists.

18. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

For people of intelligence who may like to examine a 'new' theory like 'intelligent design' it would be much more inviting if the basic premise weren't just warmed over:

'intelligent design' = creationism

'pro life' = anti-abortion

Just taking a worn tire and retreading it doesn't make it a new, improved tire.

a rose by any other name still smells like a rose
    a fart by any other name still smells like a fart

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I understand the new governor of Louisiana is in favor of teaching Intelligent Design along side currently accepted science.

I think he's also a Republican.

20. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So if they do start teaching ID - what are they going to say about the designer? Supposedly life is too complex to have evolved. Therefore, there must be a designer.

So who designed the designer? Obviously, the designer is more complex than what he/she/it designed. And since life on earth is "too complex" to have evolved, thus necessitating a designer - well, obviously the designer must be "too complex" to have evolved, thus necessitating yet another designer of even higher complexity. And who designed that designer?

I would love to see a teacher teach ID using a non-Christian religion as a basis. The ID folks like to deny that ID=Creationism. So it shouldn't bother them one little bit if a person teaches that the world was created by Zeus. After all, isn't it possible that Zeus was the designer? How do they konw that THEIR God is the one in charge of the whole shebang?