1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump Start P Lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SenehEsh, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SenehEsh

SenehEsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've been reading through the forums today and found a few posts about these two separate issues, but not anything that addresses the two issues combined. I made my battery die and I am finding out how complex this whole system is - There are two batteries in the car and when the voltage is too low, there are strange display issues. My issue is this -

I let my battery die and I tried jumping it from the fuse box following instructions on this forum, the car started, but has the "There is a problem with the transmission 'P' lock mechanism..." error. So I read on a separate forum that this can be addressed by jumping the aux battery. I just did that and the error is persisting. It is also showing the gas as near empty, when we just filled it up, the Red triangle with exclamation mark is on. I have tried releasing and engaging the parking break several times and that does not resolve the issue.

My main curiosity is why the Prius does not seem to want to engage the engine to charge the battery. It seems content to leach off my old 97 Camry without the engine engaging to allow the alternator (or hybrid equivalent) to charge itself.

Again, any advice would be awesome. I'm really hoping I dont have to take it to the shop. Ive got two kids and a baby on the way... but if thats the way it has to be. This forum looks like it has great community. Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just change the 12v battery and it'll probably be fixed

3. SenehEsh

SenehEsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, I need to leave it connected to my Camry for a long time? To be clear, as soon as I disconnect, it dies, and the engine is not engaged to charge the battery either.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car cannot run by itself after you disconnect the "donor" car battery, then you've somehow damaged the DC/DC converter while you jump started the car. Once the Prius is started, it should not need the 12v battery to stay running

The DC/DC converter is what charges the 12v battery, like the alternator in your camry.

If the DC/DC converter is working, the voltage at the 12v battery should be around 14v when the car is running in READY mode.

#4 JC91006, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  5. SenehEsh

SenehEsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your help. I let my Camry charge it up for about 90 minutes then ran the voltage tests in diagnostic mode and everything looks good. I pulled the top left 7.5A fuse from the box while the car was off and let it sit for a minute to clear the parking mode error and that hasnt come back. With a functioning transmission, I dove to the gas station to fill up the tank and it took ~1.2 gallons which righted the gauge. Everything seems to be working well!

I really appreciate the timely feedback which gave me the insight to make some moves!

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you get a chance, check your battery voltage when the car is in READY MODE. Make sure it's around 14v

valde3 likes this.
  7. Malcolm338

Malcolm338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the same error messages with my one day it turned out the driver's door wasn't closed properly

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND......at this point, it would be a REALLY good idea to borrow or buy a small battery charger and fully charge the battery with the car OFF.

IF the battery is over 5 years old, you probably should start shopping for a new one.

9. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remove battery and charge it can't charge a battery very good hooks to car takes a very long time pull one side then charge

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does your mobil device NOT have a new line button.......or a comma or period ??
    tryingtoreadthatpostisonlyslightlyeasierthanreadingthis

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what your talking about "pull one side" What does that mean?

Very easy to charge the 12 volt with its front jump points do it all the time and have for 10 years,

12. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remove one of the cable from the battery then charge it. Removing the load of the car

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Totally and absolutely un-necessary.
    The parasitic load from the car when OFF should be insignificant.
    And some settings are lost when you disconnect the battery.......and that is a pain in the backside.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct.
    Waste of time and less wrenching on the battery connections the better. Your method creates lots of sparks which the 12 volt buss does not appreciate. By removing and reapplying main B+ Multiple times
    Your taking that circuit on and off 5 times. Be respectful of the 12 volt buss really bad things happen
    As your basicly doing a repeated jump start with your method.

15. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've tried it with a dead battery on a pruis. Have You? My truck yes your right. But a prius has 3 computer that try to start before they turn off in standby. But they need 12v before that happen.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Usually anytime you thoroughly discharge an older Prius 12 volt battery it usually kills it. It begins a chemical
    Action called sulphation which damages the battery cells preventing them from ever charging properly again.
    Your battery is damaged. With 2 kids and one on the way it's critical to get a new battery.
    Don't bother getting it "load" tested just replace it.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ok I see you do not understand this.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I understand it (I'm persuadable with references if I've got this wrong), sulphation is a slow process that takes place as long as the battery is deeply discharged. So it is the usual cause of death found in a lead-acid battery that has been left at a low state of charge for weeks or months at a time.

Just letting a battery get deeply discharged for a brief period and promptly recharged isn't likely to build much of a sulphate layer that won't just redissolve into the electrolyte after charging.

Usually the biggest risk to a deeply discharged car battery comes from being jumped and then recharged by the car's (somewhat uncontrolled) charging system at a too high, juice-boiling, plate-eroding rate. A Prius might be a little better there than older cars (doesn't get much above 14 volts, and has remote V sensing (gen 1 and 2) or a battery temperature sensor (gen 3, I don't know about 4). But still, if you have the time to spare and a handy outlet, it is gentler on a deeply discharged battery to bring it back up with a smart charger, rather than just jumping it and letting the car pound all the joules back in.

-Chap

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Apples and oranges.

While it is true that the computers might set some invalid trouble codes as the battery recovers from a "dead" condition,
    most charging connections to the battery don't involve a completely DEAD battery and having a cable disconnected does NOT speed up the charging process.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If nothing comes up "weird" after charging with the cables ON, just leave it alone.
    If it does come up odd, then disconnect one cable to reboot everything AFTER the recharge is done.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Your understanding is off just a little.

Once the sulphation process starts in any significant way, it just continues because the compound created generally is NOT soluble in the electrolyte solution. That is what causes the problem to progress.

edthefox5 likes this.