1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump start with portable?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vikx, Sep 8, 2007.

1. vikx

vikx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello again everybody. My 05 (10,000 miles) has failed me twice lately. I did not leave anything on, no interior lights, no doors ajar, car locked, etc, etc. It beeped when the door was opened and blinked on but would not start. Next try , nothing. I now carry a portable jump wherever I go, plus I added a jump wire to allow easier access. My question: can I jump the car from the inside thru the cigar receptacle? I realize it is not powered unless the car is on, but is there enough juice on the first try to hook the portable up and start the car? Hope this is understandable. Thanks. VK

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vikx @ Sep 8 2007, 02:34 AM) [snapback]508979[/snapback]</div>
    You can jump the car through the aux 12v outlets, but you should consider installing the "always on" wiring harness from:

http://www.coastaletech.com

so that the dashboard outlet is on when your Prius is off. There is a short current surge when you first attach a jumper (due to some pumps), but this should not blow the outlet fuse.

Another option is to wire an extra outlet to the battery in the hatch area. You can buy an inexpensive one at Radio Shack with an in-line fuse (preferably slow-blow 15a).

If you are have this problem often, consider replacing the 12v battery. Yours is not in good shape.

JeffD

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should find the underlying cause, also. Treating only the symptom could result in some worse problem.

Are you certain you didn't leave something open or on for an extended period at some point? Do you lock the doors every time you park it?

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 8 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]509098[/snapback]</div>
    He's right.... either you have toasted the 12v battery by discharging it too deeply a few times, in which case you need to replace it, or some accessory in the car isn't shutting down when it should and is continuing to draw current. It's pretty easy for someone with an ammeter and some troubleshooting skills to track this down.

5. vikx

vikx New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. As far as I know, nothing is on in the car. When I'm working (tools in the back) the hatch is left open but the light is off with the bulb removed. It has never failed in this situation. The first time was a couple of weeks ago. Got in early morning to start and zip. Car was locked but the hatch was not latched fully. Is there a sensor that would have caused the battery to drain? 2nd time was after sitting 6 hours locked, nothing amiss. I am thinking the battery is going bad. Annoying after only 2 years. Is this common? It should still be under warranty.

I have the kit to power the cigar lighter. Can I install it without voiding my warranty? Really wanted to be able to reach over and plug my jumper in without opening the hood, etc. If the key will allow the jumper to power things, the car should be good to go. (or start)

Also will check to see if there's a draw when the car is shut down. Thank you again, VK