1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump starting a 3rd

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yeldogt, Jul 13, 2015.

1. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So my 2011 had the interior lights on all weekend -- car did not like. I don't have the thing in the fuse box to jump it like the manual says I should.

I guess just use the battery in the trunk -- the 12v not the traction.

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Im sure you have the jump terminal, it has a cover over it.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1. The fuse box is under the hood on the driver's side. The positive terminal is covered by a red cover. If the red cover isn't on it, its just a metal tab.

LG-H811 ?

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I will give another look -- no red cover that's for sure. I took the trunk apart and jumped the battery direct.

Now ... I'm wondering what charges the small battery. The car is "on" .. obviously just sitting the engine is not running ... will the traction battery do the charging? ... or do I need to drive it for one of the alternators to do it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to drive it for about 8 hours, but a better way would be to buy a smart charger for about $70. on amazon. and search a little harder for the jump point under the hood. remove the black plastic cover on the fuse box in front of the steering wheel, then look for the flip up cover on the jump point. it will be easier next time you need it on a dark rainy night on the side of the road.

Kermit262 likes this.
  6. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here is a Youtube video showing you the location of it.

Kermit262 likes this.
  7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are no alternators. Whenever the car is READY, a power supply in the inverter charges the small battery (as well as supplying power to all the other 12-volt components), using power from the traction battery (if the car's "just sitting" in "D" or "P" with the engine not running) or from the motor-generators. A long drive would eventually recharge your completely discharged battery, but a battery charger might be better.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Jump starting a car with the 12 volt drained that bad will NOT be the end of your problems. You need to intervene, slow charge at around 4 amp max with a smart charger, fully. Then drive a day or two. Then check voltage, preferably with a digital multimeter. 12.5 volt or higher, you're out of the woods.

bertoncini likes this.
  9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    One other thing to be aware of, assuming that your 12V is original equipment. A 4 year old battery, deeply discharged, might not recover. You will know that this is the problem when your mpg decreases or electronics in the car start acting up.