1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

jumped battery-Power button does not remain green after starting-immobilizer light stays flashing

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Richmond, May 6, 2014.

1. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Drained battery due to leaving light on. Jumped battery, car started and all lights are working. But two issues:

1. On pressing brake pedal+press POWER button, goes to yellow, green, engine runs,...then power button goes dark. Drove the car around the block, power button remains dark. Isn't it supposed to reamain green while running/driving?

When I press the (dark) power button, it switches off. Then immobilizer button stays flashing. I am POSITIVE I have never seen it in the 3 years I have owned the car.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A jumped battery is still not good, not properly recharged, just saying. That could account for the ongoing issues.

3. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The original poster is describing normal operation.
    The light on the Power button does not remain lit when in Ready mode.
    The red immobilizer light Will flash continuously when the car is turned off.
    If you are positive that you never noticed these events for the past three years, I believe you.

drysider likes this.
  4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But the comment about needing to bring the battery up to a full charge is still important, even if it doesn't impact the current question.

And you can't necessarily trust the onboard system to bring the battery back up to a full charge with "normal" driving.
    A small battery charger/tender/maintainer is almost required equipment for a hybrid owner.

5. Richmond

Richmond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mendel Leisk,PriusInParadise, & Easy Rider: Thanks for your comments.

I drove to work (12 miles) this morning, ran fine w/o any issues. Did not know that jump and recharge-by-driving-car will NOT take care of a discharged (but otherwise healthy) battery. This is the first and only time I let the battery discharge in my Prius which has only 18K miles on it. Must be peculiarity of Hybrid cars? I have a weak battery in my 2007 Accord and I have jumped several times (because I left some light on). As long as I don't again discharge by leaving a light on or door open, the battery/car does not give any problems.

Spoke to dealer, not sure if I got accurate info.

He said flashing immobilizer light means key battery needs replacement. I told him batteries on both keys replaced less than 6 months ago, and, the immobilizer light is flashing only since last night after jumping the car...on both keys. His explanation seems like guesswork.

Power switch goes dark after I start the car and drive: He 'thought' it should remain green but said he can be sure only if I bring the car in. Not sure how looking at the car would provide a better/accurate answer, sounded like he didn't really know and wanted to get off the phone!

Frustrating when dealers are unable to give the correct info about the cars they sell, and I bought two Toyotas from this dealer including this Prius. Previously, one tech was unable to locate the battery recharge terminal under the hood...he just knew it was in there somewhere! I had to search online to find out the location.

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For both of those cars, it is important to get the battery back up around 95% charge so that the onboard system can easily keep it there. A battery that is allowed to sit at a low state of charge, but still enough to start, will age prematurely.

You are probably OK......but ASSuming sometimes gets you into trouble later. :)