1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Junkyard brake actuator problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mberglo, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Mberglo

Mberglo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. Long time listener, first time caller. Daughter's 2005 Prius developed the well-documented brake actuator problem, and Toyota dealer verified the diagnosis. Unfortunately, the warranty extension program has expired, so we're stuck with this repair. I sourced a used actuator from a Toyota salvage parts store and had a Toyota mechanic install it. He called and said the part was bad, that the motor would not turn. The salvage parts store sent me another pump. Mechanic installed that one, and called and said same problem. Neither salvage pump motor would work. He says he can make my original leaky pump spin, but can't make either salvage part spin. Next step is to get his employee discount price on a new pump unless someone here can tell me if he's doing something wrong in his diagnosis. He actually works at the dealership as a mechanic, and is doing this repair on his days off at the dealership. Pretty good deal at $50 per hour, except that we're headed for our third round of repair.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not going to question the mechanic's process.

However, have you tried autobeyours.com as a source of used Prius parts.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm in the process of replacing my ABS actuator on my new-to-me 2006 Prius. The ABS actuator was defective when I bought, diagnosed by a Toyota dealer when the previous owner took it in.

Something I discovered is that there are TWO different ABS actuators... it depends on the vehicle's date of production, but the general gist is 2004-2005 take one type of ABS actuator, and 2006-2009 take another one. I recently found a great deal on brand genuine Toyota OEM ABS actuator from a private seller online. Going by the part number, it's the one that is supposed to fit my car. It's not yet installed. I have an appointment at a Toyota dealer in a couple of weeks to get it installed. One dealer would not put it in because they did not sell it, but another Toyota dealer is ok with it. It's brand new in the box, and the dealer is putting it in, so it "should" go well. I hope.

So, I'd say call a Toyota dealer (either a local one, or one of the ones that sell Toyota parts online) and give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you the part number. There might be an "old" and a "new" part number, get both. It's possible the problem is that the junkyard ABS actuator is for the wrong year, even though it's from a second gen Prius.

I'm hoping my brand new ABS actuator works, because I doubt the person I bought it from will reimburse me. It's the correct part number and does not show any signs of damage, and considering a Toyota dealer will be putting it in, I'm hopeful all will go well. I considered getting a used part, but was worried if it was a dud, I'd be stuck paying labor twice, or more, or that it would not last very long. Then again, it could last quite a while. Good luck, hope it works out for you!

priusrust likes this.
  4. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I forgot to mention. You may already know this, but in case you don't, or for the benefit of others, apparently you need the special Toyota Techstream software to bleed the brakes after the ABS actuator is installed. Independent shops can get this, and I think DIYers can also get it in some form. It doesn't sound like bleeding the brakes is the issue with yours, but I thought I'd put that out there in case anyone didn't know.

I don't know what the chances of getting two in a row that are defective, but it's possible. That's one of the reasons I chose to get a brand new one. Luckily I found a private seller who had it for several hundreds of dollars less than the dealer. Not sure how often that will happen, but if you can get a jobber price or employee discount on a new one, I'd do it, and forget about used ones. Even at $50/hr it will add up if you need to pay to get the job done three times.

BTW, does your car make clicking and whining/droning noises after you shut off the car? I'm wondering if that's the ABS actuator still spinning. Since I bought my Prius with the ABS actuator already in need of replacement, I don't know what it's supposed to be like when it's in good working order.