1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a carputer idea.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Pings, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Pings

Pings Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    1st off I would like to say I have know idea if this would work or not, but I think It might be the easiest to get a working touch carputer in a Prius.

I would be a touch UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC) with some sort of docking station. So you can use the docking station's monitor port to plugin into the Prius touch screen. Its mobile with a touch interface.

I dont know if this will work, but its worth looking into. Check these links about UMPCs & touch UMPCs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/umpc/default.mspx

This one has a docking station and it touch screen.
    http://tabletkiosk.com/tkstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=153

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's no out-of-box solution to feed a video signal to the MFD or to use it as a touchscreen. Someone on PC got a nice setup working, but the name escapes me, at the moment. If I was to use a UMPC, I'd pick a good location for the docking station where the screen will be easy to view and touch. It'd be setup in a way that I'd just get in the car, drop the UMPC into the cradle and go. I'd also want a location that isn't hard to run wires to, neatly. One of the most time consuming parts of the installation is the wiring. There's quite a few wires you may have to worry about

Power Wiring (positive, ground, remote)
    VGA Cable
    USB Cable x? (screen, gps, wireless, hub...)
    Audio Cable

What do you want to achieve with your carputer? Music? Navigation? Internet? It's quite a project, but it's a great pay-off!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone hooked up a mac mini to the Prius... it's on YouTube. I'm not sure how easy it is to write the script for the touchscreen.

4. Pings

Pings Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have seen the Mac but, Im a PC guy. If you can't tell by my sig, Im a gamer.

Macs are not that not bad. Its the compatibility and the changing of file formats. That I don't like. I download every thing in .MP3 & .AVI just. [SIZE=-1].ACC & .MOV is a very small percentage of the download community. Im taking warez/torrents.

I guess you would say that Im lazy. Plus Apple censors the problems that they have to make it seem like they have less problems. If Im gona to do something cutting edge. I would like some help if anything went wrong.

I also work for Verizon. I want to get a wireless USB card so I can use the internet, on the go! You can do that with a Mac to, but the internet would make a carputer 10 times better. [/SIZE]

Thanks bump the post if anything comes out were I could hook one these up.