1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a funny, no problem

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mistertudball, Apr 15, 2015.

1. mistertudball

mistertudball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We drove the new Prius v 300 miles roundtrip this past weekend, our first jaunt of any length, and got the poor thing covered in squished bugs. So I got my bucket and hose (also for the first time) and backed the car out of the garage. Turned on the hose sprayer to loosen up the bug carcasses and … BEEEEEEEEP. I stopped and looked around the neighborhood to see where the sound came from and saw nothing. Oh well, I continued spraying … BEEEEEEEEEP. Cripes it's coming from the Prius! So what … is the water too cold for you or something?

Then my feeble brain remembered reading something back on page 5,603 of the owner's manual that water could make the Smart Key system sound a malfunction warning. So I took the fob out of the car. I'm assuming this doesn't happen when you're actually driving in the rain. On the other hand, I've unintentionally tried twice to lock the "keys" in the car and it won't let me. Bravo!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :p i think it's when you get near the door handles. the 2012 o/m is only 2,000+ pages, they must add 1,000 per year.:eek:

mistertudball likes this.
  3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It IS possible for the electronics to be fooled by a HEAVY rain.......or heavy stream of water from a hose.

I've had my C beep at me in a really heavy downpour for unknown reasons and had the adaptive cruise stop working in the Fusion for a time during rain of FLOOD proportions. No lasting problems with either though.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While washing the car, it shouldn't be in your pants pocket either. Keep it beyond normal SKS range to avoid repeated relockings.
    Just beware that this isn't 100% foolproof. While it is very good, a very few unlucky folks have found radio dead spots in the liftback cabin where the car doesn't detect the fob. I wouldn't rule out low fob batteries and other interference as contributors.

I don't recall anyone yet reporting such dead spots in non-liftbacks, but beware that they are possible.

5. mistertudball

mistertudball New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I love this Prius forum, and I also love figuring out acronyms (as a newbie) without going to Google. Working on "SKS range", although I know what you mean. Silly Key Signal? No, probably not.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    acronymfinder.com has only 90 meanings for "SKS"

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model: