1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just about to buy in 2 days. Would appreciate some advice on my new purchase.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Valencia Orange, May 23, 2013.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5/25/13 My new Toyota Prius Plug-in is the the garage. Blizzard White

I am just about to buy a new 2013 Plug In Prius. Blizzard White

I have found the best price from Dianne at Carson Toyota. There is not one Toyota dealership that came close to her pricing. I thought the Costco program might have low prices, but Carson Toyota had the best.

The car to me is expensive, but my wife drives down the 405 North Freeway everyday and it is bumper to bumper. Construction is going on and they are adding Carpool lanes. Just yesterday I heard the stickers were extended to 2018. The drive is very tough on her, and I am sure every other person.

The Plus side of buying now:
    Carson Toyota Pricing
    Diane
    Zero percent financing for 60 months
    1500 Check from CA
    2500 Federal Program
    Carpool stickers until 2018
    My credit card has car points, good toward a check.

Questions:
    13 miles per charge. Do owners charge there car every night?

Do you carry the cord and charge it where you park if available?

How do you prevent someone from taking your cord? I heard the are expensive to replace.

How many miles on the average does the car usually get using the charge each day.

The electronics in the car are all new to me. We own a 2006 Prius but, we were surprised to see what was in the 2013 Prius. Do you use most of the apps in the car? How is the navigation system? Bluetooth? etc.

Any other information about the car, reliability, etc would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) yes
    2)yes
    3)i'm in a safe place
    4)16 in summer, 10 in winter, spring and fall, somewhere in between
    5)i don't have a phone, but my son hooked his up to the bluetooth in 2 minutes and was making calls and playing music. it was pretty cool. i like the usb, he put a ton of old fogie songs on a stick for me, it works great. the nav is okay, not as good as a $100. garmin imo.
    6)all the best!(y)
    7) di is the best, ain't she?:)

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I flew from San Francisco to Long Beach to buy my car from Dianne, and I've still yet to meet her.

Most people I know use public chargers, which don't require that you bring the cable. I keep mine at home. If you want to prevent theft, you can drive over the cable, but it's inconvenient to do so.

There's a smartphone app called PlugShare, which will help you find public charging stations. To use them, you need to get an RFID card from ChargePoint and from Blink. Some stations are free. Paying $1/hour for charging, however, is much more expensive than buying gas for your Prius.

Don't worry about the electronics. Just get in and drive. Nathan will pair your Bluetooth phone to your car for you, and he'll teach you a lot about the rest. Enjoy the car.

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    iPlug's answers:​

1) Charge every night: yes, using off-peak hours, then in the day if I have to run other trips​

2) Carry the cord and charge it where you park if available? Able to do 90%+ of driving within home charging range, so usually leave the cord at home. If I am driving further and know I can charge at the other end, yes.​

3) How do you prevent someone from taking your cord? At home, just close the garage door. Away, I use a Master lock​
    Model # 4680DBLKHC - from Home Depot, you can google it too.​
    4) Expensive to replace: Yep, from what I hear.​

5) How many miles on the average does the car usually get using the charge each day: 10 in winter 13-14 in summer; less if freeway driving is involved.​

6) Use most of the apps in the car: no, almost only just radio and​
    navigation.​

7) How is the navigation system? It's okay,​
    after-market devices like Garmin are​
    better, IMO​

8) Bluetooth? etc: just for phone calls for me.​

5. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Questions:
    13 miles per charge. Do owners charge there car every night?: yes

Do you carry the cord and charge it where you park if available? Yes

How do you prevent someone from taking your cord? I heard the are expensive to replace. I use a laptop security cable that I thread between wheel spokes. I thread the cable through a second small lock that is on the charger cable.

How many miles on the average does the car usually get using the charge each day. Life time average 120 mpg.

The electronics in the car are all new to me. We own a 2006 Prius but, we were surprised to see what was in the 2013 Prius. Do you use most of the apps in the car? How is the navigation system? Bluetooth? etc.Ok!

Any other information about the car, reliability, etc would be appreciated. So far it has proven to be reliable.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have a phone? I remember the good old days of being "untethered"!:p

bisco likes this.
  7. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Big difference in GPS quality between base and AT models. I have the AT and the GPS works better than the premium Garmin I also have. If you aren't getting the AT, I will not tempt you with the upgrades.

8. Room23

Room23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only one thing to add that I recently learned about that I wish I knew before taking posession of mine. If you don't want to feel like you are driving a forklift while in reverse, have the dealer de-activate the internal beeping sound before taking posession. If you don't have the dealer do it prior to taking delivery it will be on your dime to have it done if it annoys you.

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't you do that yourself with torque?

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but not everyone is of a technical bent and wants to buy and use OBD-II tools.

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's dealer specific. I made an appointment the following week to have some settings changed, among them the annoying reverse beep - no charge.

12. stanwagon

stanwagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The dealer in Seattle I purchased one disabled that beeping for me with no problem before shipping the car to me in Colo.

13. Zimmy 1

Zimmy 1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, In New York 9.3 in winter, up to 11.5 now Charge anytime I can
    Yes Charge anywhere I see a 120v outlet
    I carry a large lock and steel bike chain
    From day one I am averaging 68.9 mpg. Hope to do better in summer
    Read the manuals, reread them, reread them again. Then go on prius chat
    Nav system is very good i found.
    I have a dumb phone so all the apps related to phone are worthless to me.
    I think that this car is one of the best cars I have had. I traded in a Lexus and I thought that car was very good, this car is almost as good.
    Good luck

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The dealer can disable the Reverse beep, leaving instead a single beep. Same with the aggressive seatbelt reminder beep.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the seat belt reminder turned off. As a realtor, I'm in and out of the car with people a lot, just driving around the community. It was annoying just going around the block to make everyone buckle their seat belt. But going outside the community - the car doesn't move until everyone is buckled up!

16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a realtor too. It's the ideal car for a realtor.

17. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congratulations on your new PiP, and you are in good hands with Dianne and Nathan. I have never charged other than at home, using the end timer function in order to have the car ready to go at 6 am daily. I usually get 14-15 miles of driving in town from a single charge.
    I like the Bluetooth for my cellphone calls. The stereo quality isn't the best, but I use an iPod plugged into the USB port. I don't care for Entune, but a lot of folks here like it. I don't use any of the apps, but I'm way out of the targeted demographic for them, I'm afraid.
    The law hasn't passed yet to extend the stickers to '18, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Very handy on I-405 to have them; a real time-saver.
    If you have need, Dianne can get a mirror with Homelink garage door controls installed in the base model (Advanced comes with it.)
    I prefer a portable navigation device (I use WAZE on my phone a lot) to the built-in system.
    You'll be amazed at the overall fuel economy of the PiP over your '06 Prius. That's what I had before also.
    Good luck.

18. stanwagon

stanwagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But will a dealer disable the seat belt reminder? My experience is that they are unwilling to do that.
    Re fuel economy:
    2005 Prius: 101,000 miles at about 42-43 mpg.
    2013 PiP: 82 mpg so far on my first tank.

19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's also a great conversation piece!

markabele likes this.
  20. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the Prius v's manual, it's listed as a customizable feature that can be done at the dealer. They hesitated but once I explained why, they were fine with it.