1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just an off-the-wall thought about written-off Priuses and classic cars

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, May 12, 2014.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not an engineer.

But I just saw something that set me thinking. It's not something I'd do now, but if it's possible, it quite appeals in the future.

Over the last couple of days, I've seen a couple of things on car auction and car sale websites.

One was a salvage auction. There was a Prius, a Prius C and a HyCam. All three had been badly rear-ended, and had been written off. But both had undamaged engines, transmissions, and (I think) batteries.

The other thing was a classic car website. There were a couple of cars that had good bodies and good interiors, but completely knackered engines, transmissions and brakes. One of them was a Rover 110. When I was a kid (in the 80s), my Dad had one of these - in the same colours as the one in the picture below - and I loved it.

[​IMG]

The other was an Armstrong-Siddely.

[​IMG]

I was thinking how much I'd love something like that, but how annoying it would be to deal with the dodgy reliability of cars built in a time when you'd pass dozens of them in clouds of steam by the side of the road on any long journey. And how I'd like decent brakes and decent fuel economy.

So I was thinking.....

If, at some point in the future (when I have time, space and money to spare on such fripperies), I wanted to, would it be possible to take advantage of this? Would it be possible to buy a pretty-but-non-functioning classic car, and a mechanically-sound hybrid write-off, and drop the hybrid engine into the classic car?

The biggest challenge I can see is that most of the pretty-but-not-functioning classic cars are RWD, and obviously Prii and Hycams are FWD. But I'd imagine that there'd be challenges with things like controls too.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the feasibility of such a thing? Am I being ridiculous?

Oh, and would things be any easier (or harder) if I tried this with a written-off Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi i-MIEV?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything can be done. it's a matter of talent, knowledge and cost. over here, we have the velocity channel which has a number of shows where cars are disassembled and completely remodded. they do some incredible things, and the talent and skill is amazing to behold.

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bold bit is what worries me. I am utterly devoid of talent and skill.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ya, me too. most of these guys have been doing it their whole life and their fathers before them. they can go to a junk yard, pull out an old 60's car, completely wrecked and rusted. rebuild the body and frame, new upholstery, and completely different mechanicals than original. when they are done, they are showroom quality. great to watch, almost like magic.:p

5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I think I'd have to get experts in to do it. I'd love to have the big leather seats and the chrome and all the lovely wood and everything, but in something reliable, economical, quiet and safe.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    new bentley?:cool:

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Talk to the guys at West Coast Customs, anything is possible with enough money.

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, yes, of course! Why didn't I think of that?

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It is humanly possible, but I would rate it as a very difficult project. All the various parts inside the Prius are tightly integrated, they would probably need to all go together. You might be better off to just save up for a tesla or maybe one of those Hydrogen Beamers...

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This might have a simple solution: just reverse the hybrid's layout. Put the engine, motors, transaxle, etc. in the rear of the classic car, and the battery and radiator in the front. Gear selection is electronic, so there is no need to have the tranny mounted near where the controls will be. There might be issues will cooling. There is some direct airflow over the ICE and invertor now, but cooling systems tend to be sized for worse case scenarios now.

Getting the regenerative brakes working and feeling right might be the biggest issue. But you can skip them. Unless this is going to be a daily driver, the efficiency loss may be a fair trade to have such a hybrid classic.

Of course, simply dropping in a newer engine and transmission is going to be easier and cheaper. Going with an EV conversion would likely be easier than the hybrid one. While not a boon in hot locations, the Leaf's air cooling for the battery will simplify the process. It will probably require two Leafs' worth of batteries for a decent range though.

11. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Having experience in restoration of classic sports cars I can only say that be prepared to spend a lot of money north of $100K USD. The Rover 110 and Armstrong Siddley are not desirable classic cars that everyone craves to own, thus the cheap value today. It takes the same amount of labor to restore these cars as well as highly desirable classics like Jaguars and Rolls Royce. The cost of parts may vary due to availability. The other thing is someone has to engineer this powertrain swap so that not only is it functional but safe which means rewiring the whole car to current 12Volt system. There will be periods of trial and error on top of the normal restoration process. The brakes may have to be updated because the Prius engine is several times more powerful than these sedans of yesteryear. (Not too many opportunities to say this. LOL.) You also need someone who you can trust or know someone who can make sure you're not being ripped off every time you sign a new check especially if you are not savvy with what goes on during a restoration.

So you need a lot of money and patience and understand that when its all finished and done, the car will still be worth close to the original value that you bought it for or less because you have radically changed it from its original configuration. So why would you do this? LOVE! You loved this car as a kid. No one else would understand but there are countless car enthusiasts in the UK that restore hopelessly shot English sedans, pour enormous time, energy and money into it and live happily thereafter.

Saving up for that Tesla looks attractive. Good luck

12. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been contemplating a "reskinning" of a Prius... what I've learned about it so far, is I will loose the airbags... pretty much everything else can be done with the swap if it is just plugging a new body over the chassis... that way you'll have the exterior look like the older rod, but have modern components underneath... drive systems, regenerative brakes, and the other modern systems for managing the comfort of the cabin and lowered emmissions.

I saw a conversion of a Subaru Brat onto a Prius a while back... but that ain't anything like what the OP was thinking... this will require some significant work... it ain't like stuffing a V8 into a Vega.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much are you willing to spend for a restored or upgraded version of the car?

If the restoration/conversion is going to cost more than that (and it will) then it doesn't make any sense.

Just because a thing CAN be done doesn't mean a thing SHOULD be done.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Splended idea ol'chap. I think it a piece of cake, though you would need to lighten things up a bit.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all of you for such a bunch of informative, interesting and enthusiastic posts. This is just a dream for now, but you've given me some excellent ideas for the future.

Yes, that's something I was toying with as a possibility. The boots of these cars aren't massive, but then a Prius engine is pretty small. The cooling is a bit of a worry, though.

Yes, I was thinking that EV might be the easier option. And by the time I get round to this (we're a couple of years away at least), cheap in-wheel motors should be more widely available, which could make the engineering fairly simple: I know of a few companies in China that are working on the technology. And I'm sure I could get some good batteries out of BYD.

Reskinning sounds quite appealing. Would I be right in thinking that this would allow me to keep the interior of the classic car as well? If anything, the wood and leather and shiny bits on the inside are more appealing than the exterior.

Would you need something with an exact match on the wheelbase, or is shortening or lengthening an option? I had a quick look, and there's about 10cm (4") between the wheelbases of a Rover 110 and a Prius or Camry.

Thank you. I looked at kerb weights, and they're not wildly different.

There are actually some surprisingly cheap 60s Jags around. I think with a Rolls-Royce, the biggest problem would be weight, even for a HyCam engine, but a Jag would seem doable. I would, I think, have to grow a moustache and develop a caddish demeanour, though, which is potentially a problem.

As far as I can remember, Dad's 60s Rover did have 12V electrics: I think they were common in British cars by then.

Hooray for our super-powerful Priuses!

The Rover engine had 123 bhp, so the difference isn't huge. But even if power were the same, I'd want better brakes than were available back then.

I think SPEEDEAMON explained it nicely.

Exactly. I'd assume that, after spending all the money on the changes, the car would be worth significantly less than if I'd taken the easier option of a straight restoration. I wouldn't do this because it was sensible, but because it was something I wanted to do.

16. AEROENGR

AEROENGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dropping in a Prius drivetrain would likely be difficult, expensive and maybe impossible. There would be space constraints in the engine compartment and the car structure would have to be modified to mount the hybrid system components. If you really want a Rover 110 or Armstrong-Siddely sedan, you would be better off investing your restoration money in a total rebuild of the car's original engine, transmission, brakes and suspension, which would then be acceptably reliable if driven gently and with proper maintenance. Installing a Prius drivetrain would also make the car worthless for future sale to a classic car collector.

17. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems I'm not the only one having such thoughts, although I'm more partial to convertibles. :)

Bill the Engineer

18. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure its all that crazy. Been dreaming about doing something similar for a while now ;)

I think part of the key would be to find a donor platform that allowed you to re-use as much of the Prius as possible. Something with a very similar track width and body on frame construction would probably be ideal. That way you could lift off the body work, modify the frame to accept the Prius engine / transaxle / front suspension / steering / brakes, and then modify the body work to fit around it. This would avoid much of what would probably be the most challenging aspects of adapting the Prius systems, as they are all pretty tightly coupled and convincing them to work in the absence of any of the major systems they expect to be talking to could be very difficult.

I'm not sure it would have to be all that expensive either. Restoring / updating any classic vehicle can be expensive, but it seems like the real cost is often in the details. IE just how perfect do you want it to be. Of course the more of it you can learn to do yourself the more reasonable it might be. For me that would be half the fun, but I realize not everyone shares the same definition of fun ;)

Rob

19. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  20. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like that!, I remember kit cars that were desigined to go onto vw beetles. that is what we need a kit car that is desgined to fit the prius. that way you would unbolt the body panels and bolt on the new body ect... and you would have a well working kit car.:rolleyes: