1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just as a test, tonight I plugged in the block heater and

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frank Hudon, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

will post the results for the first 5 minute block of fuel milage. Nomally doing about 7.8-8 liters per hundred km's. Another Prius owner and I are curious to see if it takes the first block down by having a warm ICE. I'll keep you all posted here tomorrow evening if it makes a difference. 2K3 Prius. 3100Km's total mileage. The car came equipped with the block heater but we don't use them here on the west coast, too warm.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious how much power a block heater draws, and would that consume more energy in the end than the first 5 minutes of driving?

3. rdverb

rdverb New Member

I had a block heater in a V6 GMC van I used to drive and I think it drew about 600 watts. Not particularly energy efficient, but at Lake Tahoe or even more so in Canada, it sure is nice to have the heater come on quickly on a winter's morning.

Rick V.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The efficiency of a block heater is way more apparent during the winter in places that get extremely cold. The preheated engine will drematically reduce the strain on the starter, and the warmed oil gets flowing much faster, reducing the time that metal parts are not lubed substantially. This leads to longer engine life.

For Frank's experiment, I don't think he's going to see a huge difference.

5. Frank Hudon

Ok I went out this morning and checked the ICE and it was definatly warm, and fired it up and backed out of the drive way and the first thing that I noticed was that the cold light wasn't on and it did the whole trip in stealth. Then when I shifted into drive the ICE started as I was sure it would, low BSOC and it needed some juice. Then I have a 4 block run to a stop sign and I wasn't able to get it to the 3rd stage. Hung a right and up the hill for 2 blocks and a stop sign. Then a 4 block run and a stop light. Pulled up to the light and the ICE stopped. About 1/2 then normal distance to the first ICE stop. After the first 5 minute block the consumption was 6.5 so it was down a bit, normal 7.5-8 liter per hundred km's. So it was pretty close to what the wife's 2k4 does. Just wanted to do the test, and yes it's over. I'll maybe use the block heater next winter if I go up country but it never gets cold enough here on the coast.

6. Frank Hudon

that takes it from 29-30 US mpg up to 36 US mpg. It's a 1000 watt block heater so there is no value in plugging it in. Maybe on a timer where it only cycles on for about 4 hours.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In my area, that's more than $1 worth of electricity - I'm not sure it would save me $1 in gas, or the environment anything. The amount of energy used/wasted and the amount of pollution created in order to produce those 4 kW/h (unless it was solar, wind, geothermal, or hydroelectric) probably exceeds that of even when the Prius is least efficent warming up.

The results were interesting though none the less :)

8. RobertO

RobertO New Member

It's a regional thing, out here on the Left Coast, but most of us in Oregon Washington and British Columbia DO receive hydroelectric power.

Time permitting I'll try to determine the cost foar a 1,000-watt block heater boost from Puget Sound Energy. Maybe our colleague in Vancouver can get the same info from BC Hydro.

I'm very interested because I plan to install a block heater next October.

Regards,

Bob

9. Frank Hudon

we pay BC Hydro 6 cents a KW for residential power. We pay Chevron 92.9 cent's a liter for regular gas. Maybe a timer set to give me a 4 hour pre-heat might just pay in the long run. Today the cold light was still on at the stop light. And the first 5 minute block was 8.0 Liter per 100 Km's. Maybe later this fall when it's cooler I just might run the test for a week and fill the tank at the start and the finish and see what the real cost is. Interesting test non the less. If nothing else got people thinking.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i don't actually own a prius, so forgive me if this is dumb. but didn't i read that the prius (04) has a thermal storage tank for coolant that actually keeps it warm for several days so that it's ready to warm up the ICE right away?

doesn't that sort of negate the benefit of the block heater? though i guess the heater is probably still more powerful...

11. Frank Hudon

Mine is a 2k3 Prius with just over 3300 KM, I bought it new 5 weeks ago. It has what I think should be standard on the 2k4 and that is the HC absorber cat.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree w/ the HC Cat - The thermos tank is a neat idea as well, but should have supplimented the HC cat, not replaced.

Ironically, the HC cat made it onto the Camary PZEV.

One thing I didn't like about the classic's HC Cat was the bypass valve would chirp as it actuated upon startup. Dealer wouldn't do anything about it unless it was shown that it was malfunctioning (i.e. failing to open).

Thermos also probably doesn't work as well if you use the EV button w/o letting the ICE kick on unless it's able to backflush the semi-warm coolant from the head back into the thermos.

13. Frank Hudon

I've never noticed the "chirping" that a lot of the YG posts mentioned and a few here on PC. The wife's old 2k1 never chirped and my 2k3 also doesn't make any noise, at least not yet. On the EV circuit does it not allow the electric water pump to flush the ICE on initial start up? Or does the EV mode stop that part of the startup program in the computer? I would think that it would flush it at the first ICE start up just like in normal mode. Didn't know about the Camray having the HC absorber cat.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the PZEV Camary has the HC cat.

The chirping is the sound of the HC cat bypass valve. Sounds almost like a squealing belt at first startup.

The pump will flush the ICE regardless of whether or not you push EV. This is good if you plan on driving a distance. This is bad, however, if you're just moving the car around in the garage, etc.

15. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Thermos is a good idea for the belly of the market, but cannot compensate for thermal loss in maritime or "rust belt" climatesfrom late September well into April.

Even in Seattle in winter, we get a succession of days just above freezing to not much more than 45 degrees F. for weeks on end. Any wind chill and it's worse. And we DO have our subfreezing days.

This really sucks the heat out of the entire car, not just the ICE block, making the thermos marginal if somewhat helpful.

The block heater makes sense to me in tyhis environment and may be a more economical solution where lower cost hydroelectric therms minimize the net cost to heat the block.

Downstream there may be low cost solar storage unit that can power a block heater, or perhaps a home solar unit for a swimming pool/home heating booster can be co-opted to provide enough current (or heat source) to keep the block a little warmer.

There's always a way...

Bob

16. Frank Hudon

I used to live up in northern British Columbia -35 -40F not uncommon, and there the trucking companies have line heat for the trucks, where by you plug in the cooling system instead of the block heater and it ciuculated hot antifreeze though the engine and heater on the trucks. Easy way to start a diesel engine when it's really cold and minimize any damage caused by cold starts. Small water heater and a set of QD's and have the same thing on your Prius.

17. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I live in california so a block heater isn't in my future but if I lived in a cold climate I think it could be helpful.

If wouldn't necessarily save too much gas, but would reduce engine wear and emissions.

The cat warmer thermos is useful, but if you think about it there's no way it can heat up the whole engine back to operating temperature. Even if the thermos worked perfectly and put the fluids back at the normal operating engine temperature, the heat capacity of the rest of the engine would cool them down very quickly. The issue is that the heat capacity of the fluids in the thermos is much less than the heat capacity of the engine as a whole, just because the engine as a whole is much larger and more massive.

So right when the hot fluid from the thermos hits the engine, it's heat will start getting dissipated into the cold engine and cooling system. Engines are designed to dissipate the heat of the internal components quickly.

Just to make up some numbers, lets say that overnight the engine reaches a temperature of -25 degrees F, while the thermos fluid stays at 200 degrees (I have no idea if this is right). If the heat capacity of the engine is lets say eight times that of the fluid, then you wind up with an engine temperature of about zero degrees after the fluid goes back in and the heat has a chance to even out within the engine.

But if you use an engine heater, you can bring the engine up to a much warmer temperature (perhaps 50 or even 100 degrees).

Since cold starts are by far the main emissions problem and wear issue for engines, using an engine heater could significantly lower emissions and make the engine last longer, paying for itself.

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The thermos only dumps coolant into the head, so that the intake manifold and intake ports can be warmed. Cool heads/ports encourage gasoline condensation, which sometimes requires an enriched mixture to compensate and avoid a rough idle. Condensation, however, causes extra unburnt HC's to exit the exhaust stream due to extra fuel being sucked in at various times or an incomplete mixture when cold.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And therefore the thermos is an anti-pollution device which has little or no effect on how quickly you get heat for the cab.

However, the Prius provides heat to the cab in about half the time of my old Civic. Not until about 15 blow zero (F) does it become too painfully cold to drive without pre-heating.

Block heaters are normally used on cars that just won't start otherwise. But the Prius doesn't even start like other cars, so this is not an issue.

20. Frank Hudon

On the Prius there is a rotating valve that stops the flow of coolant to the heater core when the thermos is pre-heating the cylinder head. And yes at you have stated the thermos is an anti-pollution device. It has its' own electric water pump to circulate the coolant to the head also. When the rotating valve stops the flow of coolant to the heater there are a pair of electric heating elements in the heater ducting that provide limited heat to the cabin.