1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought 2011 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GaryD1, Feb 7, 2011.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got 200 mile on it so far, with 50.8 mpg first tank. I drive 400 - 600 miles a week. Is the mpg read out accurate?

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Just bought 2011 Prius II

The first tank from the dealer never matches what you compute from the fill-up, since they probably don't fill it up completely. Also, the Gen III Prius readout is a bit optimistic from what I've heard. Do a search, there's several threads already on this subject.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Greetings and :welcome:

Your mileages will improve somewhat as you read more in this forum and get used to driving the car. When the temperatures moderate up there in NC, then the mileages will improve even more.

I'll save you some aggravation with the search button.
    Your real world mileage will probably be about 2-3 mpg less than what the 'dizzy-wizz' display tells you it is. When you get down to the last bar on the fuel gauge (cool Prius nerds sometimes call them 'pips'), and you hear the first warning beeep, you should have a little less than 2 gallons of fuel left...they do that on purpose.
    Try to resist the urge to over fill the gas tank to inflate your tank mileages. The system "miles to empty" will adjust itself over time to your vehicle's average mpg.

Other than that...read the owner's manual a couple of times, and in between owner's manual induced slumber periods, you'll be able to catch some quick tips in the forum.

Good Luck!

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I always need to take off 3mpg from what the car says, and that will match my pump numbers.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a little more optimistic in the Gen 3 Prius than it is on the Gen 2 Prius but given that you're in the middle of winter, that's pretty good.

6. Jim Clark

Jim Clark Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The computer is on the high side. If you're really concerned, do manual calculations at each fill. MPG does depend on driving habits, the crazy hyper-milers go to extremes to squeeze out every last mpg they can get, I think many of them must have OCD. I'll probably get flamed for that comment.

Don't worry about it, just drive it the way you want to, the car will figure out how much gas it needs, it'll be more in winter.

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a question I'd like to ask you when you've filled a few tanks. My 2010 model mpg read out is about 2.5 mpg high--and there are a bunch of us like that--
    We'd like to know if they've fixed it for 2011, and you're the person who can start telling us.

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine's between 2 and 2.7 MPG high as well, for the first 4 fill-ups, at least.

REV

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Computer overestimates by about 5%

10. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got close to 400 miles now, showing 50.0. I'll put another 100 on it today and guess I'll fill up at the cheapest place I see. I doubt the problem has been corrected, probably the same computer as the 2010 but I'll let you know. I got a 450 mile trip planned next week, not counting 300 miles the wife will drive it. I would guess I'm getting between 47-48 mpg. This is still not bad for one that's not broke in yet. My wife uses cruise control, I like to watch and glide as much as possible. If no one is behind me, just take it easy, not in a big hurry myself.

11. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

My first fill up was 8.75 gal, drove 417 miles = 47.65 mpg, computer read 49.9 mpg. A little over 2 mpg off. I'm fixing to fill up again. This first week have driven over 800 miles. I'll also post this on my gas gauge I loose one bar for every 25 mile driven. I think there are 10 bars readout on gas gauge. I'll post again in a couple days. It don't appear the mpg computer has been fixed, probably never will be exact. I'm doing a little better this tank of gas so will let you know more later.

12. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You must do better than 25 miles every bar
    More like 50 I would think ;)

13. krytron

krytron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I ask how much you paid for it? I am also looking for Prius II, but here in DFW area 2010 models are almost all gone. They are asking ~$23500 + TTL which I think is pretty high :( Pretty much all dealers seem to get the cars from the same place, and I don't want to explore farther. Any advice?

14. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, my math was wrong, closer to 50, I had two bars left when I filled up at 417 miles.

15. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just drove 481 miles yesterday, computer read out read 55.3 mpg. My math 10.0 gallons to fill= 48.1 so read out off 7.2 mpg

I did fill tank all the way up, its hard to get exact amount of gas each time at fill up. I still had two bars showing I could go 70 more miles.

16. CarmelPrius

CarmelPrius At 1 mile.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got a 2011 Prius III w/Nav on 2/12/11. It's Barcelona Red. Whatever MPG it gets is much much better than my big ole Tundra. :) The Tundra is for plowing and hauling my boat. The Prius is for driving. It handles much better than the 08 Prius. Also, the sound system is awesome!

17. charlesinoc

charlesinoc meep meep :-)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was quoted $22,500 for a 2011 Prius II. (+ TTL) This was around 2/5/11 and the only incentive I found for Los Angeles Area is 2.9% financing on a purchase.

18. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just filled up with gas again, already got 2k miles on it in two weeks. This time I filled up to top both time. 591 miles, held 11.3 gal=52.30 mpg. Computer read 53.3 mpg. Computer is a lot closer than before.

19. PRIUS NUBE

PRIUS NUBE New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am running an ECEL spreadsheet for my wife and her MPG. The best mileage she is getting is
    60.31MPG and the lowest is 52.95MPG.this is on a 2011 model. This is in SW Florida, with no hills at all, and 70 miles a day of mostly 45 MPH with some city driving. She is very conservative with the gas pedal and really keeps an eye on the mileage and by the way...is thrilled with the car.

20. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just filled up again, held 10 gal had been 520 miles= 52mpg. The computer read 53.3. This is filling it all the way up so the last two fill up, computer has been off 1.3 mpg.