1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AtomicDog, Apr 6, 2007.

1. AtomicDog

AtomicDog New Member

Hello all,

After getting interested in a Prius,I've lurked here for months and decided to take the big step. Not having the finances to swing a new car, I bought a 2005 Prius, package #5 driftwood pearl with a bisque interior. This the fifth car I've owned and I can already say that it is the best one I've ever driven.

It has 28,000 miles on it, and on a 25 mile commute I'm getting 48-53 mpg. I tend to get better mileage in heavy traffic (at least that makes something good about sitting in traffic!)

Since my car is already two years old, are there any maintenance issues I need to be on the lookout for? I intend to keep my Prius until the wheels fall off, but I don't want that to be any time soon.

I have had a lot of fun reading your group, and I am proud to be a member.

2. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Section 31 @ Apr 6 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]418735[/snapback]</div>
    I also bought a 2005...but with 63,000 miles on it. I've put an extra thousand since I've had it, and no problems (except the braking system was really weird when it rained, shuddered, and didn't feel stable). There's a pamplet that should come with the car that describes what check ups you should do at what mileage. It's a pretty low matinence car

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Section 31 @ Apr 6 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]418735[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2005 (bought new) with nearly 35K. Are your tires OEM? Mine wore out by 30K.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 with roughly the same mileage as yours (46,000kms). Check the tyres for tread depth if they haven't been changed already.

Keep the tyre pressures 2lbs higher in front. Most of us pump it above the recommended 35/33. I have mine at 38/36.

So far, just regular scheduled maintenance. Just double check with your local dealer to make sure the two recalls have been performed (ECU update and steering wheel recall).

Other than that, enjoy your car and welcome to PriusChat!

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Section 31 @ Apr 6 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]418735[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. Galaxee posted a maintenance schedule and I posted copies a couple of times. A quick search should find it. On some of the earlier models the flux capacitor needed to be rebuilt. :p

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, Section 31. You are still in the 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Did you buy from a dealer? I think you may still be able to get a 100,000 mile warranty. Check the Discounted Extended Warranty under the Prius Accessories menu, if you are interested, since you want to keep the car a long time. You'll need new tires soon, if they weren't already replaced. Search and you will find many tire threads.

Maintenance consists mainly of changing the oil at 5000 mile intervals. The ICE intake and cabin air filters get changed at 30,000 miles, both easy DIY jobs, and check eBay for cheap prices.

Congratulations on getting the smartest car on the road! When gas hits $4 at the end of the year, you'll be even happier...

7. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've got an 05 Prius with about 26k miles on it. Check to see if the tires on it are the stock goodyear integritys. They kinda suck. I had to replace them 1000 miles ago. The stop bars were already showing. I hope you're happy! Welcome.

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Flux Capacitor" ROFLMAO that was a good one

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) HI Section 31

You might want to comtact Toyota with your VIN number and get a reading on the TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) regarding whether they have been done on your '05 Prius. You can also get an "In Service" date for your '05 Prius - for Warranty Purposes as on the 60K and 100K mile items. Try: http://www.toyota.com/about/contact/ The '04s and '05s had some which would have been done by a dealer at no charge. There was also one "safety recall" (SSC-40L) for the brake light switch due to oxidization of the contact points which could cause the brake lights to not work and potentially cause the Prius to fail to start. There was an SSC-50P ECU Computer update and SSC-60C steering column modification. Some of these were for the '04 Prius and early '05's and may not apply to your "new/used" '05 Prius.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's important to have the owner's manual and the Prius scheduled maintenance guide. The manual has lots of obscure info, and the maintenance guide tells you exactly what the thing needs; this can save you money versus buying the typically overpriced menu of periodic services at a dealer.

11. AtomicDog

AtomicDog New Member

Thanks for all the feedback, fellow Priusers.

To aaf709, Tideland Prius and freke70: the tires are Bridgestone Potenzas, and they are new or near-new. Will try the higher tire pressure.

JimN: saw a DeLorean last week. If I see it again I'll ask the driver where he shops. ;)

Bill Merchant: car is still under warranty, but I'll have to decide on an extended one soon. Will check out the warranty pages.

Still mostly commuting, have yet to get under 44mpg on a trip (25 miles one way.) I did let my son have a turn at the wheel. Typical teenager; jackrabbit starts, flying up to a stop and braking at the last second. "Son," I said, "you'll never hypermile that way." He'll learn. He gets my old car when he can pay for gas and insurance.

He loved it, though when I played Smart Key tricks with him. "See? My hands are empty! I swear I didn't touch a remote! But I can open the car and you can't!" :lol: