1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2008 Prius! Did I do well? Thoughts? Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by b8b, May 6, 2011.

1. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All!

I am happy to say that I just bought a white 2008 Prius package #2 with 45k miles, one owner (was a company car). I paid $16,500. Did I do OK? :)

I was trying to choose between that or a Camry Hybrid (loaded: leather, NAV, etc.) with 92k miles for $13,500 but the latter was almost 3 hours away and I just needed a car (just sold my old '95 Toyota Previa AllTrac S/C). The Camry is MUCH more comfortable (I find the Prius seats very uncomfortable after just 15 minutes, lower back pain, I am not overweight or anything), but I like the hire miles. Averaging only 45-47 MPG 80% highway, but I am new at it. I hope I made the right choice.

It is pretty clean, has 7/10's tread left on some generic looking Fisk Classics 185/65R15 tires (wondering about filling them to 42/40 PSI).

The guy selling it said all maintenance had been done at the dealer. I took him at his word because there was an oil change sticker in the window. Turns out he either a) wasn't telling the entire truth or b) didn't know as he was the CEO and had 42 employees (was a compay day off, he was the only one at the office and his name was on the title). Dealership records show 30k and 45k service done there, so maybe they oil changes elsewhere.

I did notice on the paperwork for the car after the fact that they had complained to the dealer about a squeking noise (it has the "seal bark issue") and they said the brake actuator needed to be replaced ($2300+!) and customer declined (so the record shows). Wish I had seen that before I bought it (was not given to me). So I posted on that issue in the thread about it /forums/toyota-prius-service-bulletins-tsbs/29211-tsb-br001-07-brake-actuator-noise-12.html (can't post URL, I'm too new).

Any advice? Feedback?

Thanks in advance!

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll comment on the tires. Keep an eye on the pressures as low pressure can affect your mpg's. Some on here run at higher than recommend psi's but obviously do that at your own risk.

Also, when you change tires you might want to replace with low rolling resistance tires. They cost a little more but give must better mpg's.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

1 person likes this.
  3. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    its ok, you paid TOO MUCh

4. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yikes! Really? KBB says the price I paid is below trade-in. Dealer offer me $15,700 trade-in. There's not a lot of options to buy more affordably where I live, gas prices have driven up the values.

5. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    tf, I paid 6,500 for a 2004 Prius with 101k on the odo. Do you think I paid too much?

6. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you got a smoking deal!

7. pkallaus

pkallaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I picked up my 2006 in Jan 11 with 35,000 for $10k. I had to replace the tires immediately (Ecopia 400, $375 at COSTCO).
    Are you happy? Then it was agreat deal.

8. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, you also got a great deal.

I am moderately happy, but I thought I got a better deal then I apparently did. Not a lot of them for sale around here. I like the seats on the 2010's but am not willing to spend a lot more for that.

I already had an offer to sell it for $17,000, so it seems the market says that I got a good deal, happy about that.

I am concerned about the "seal bark" issue, though I am not sure if I should be. Very annoying, though intermittent.

9. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Deals are relative. You got a very good deal for Now (meaning now that the priuses are in super high demand and being inflated hugely). Your deal seems perhaps not as amazing compared to 6 months ago - but its not 6 months ago, so be happy with your purchase :)

10. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, TheNewGuy8. I appreciate you helping me put it in perspective. Now am I wondering if I should sell it while the market is high :D

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The noise issue, although it may be annoying, is not a safety concern according to the TSB that relates to this subject.

12. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, Patrick. That makes me feel a bit better. I can handle the noise, I am just concerned it may turnout to be long-term reliability/maintenance issue.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed that my 2004 has this problem when the car is at higher altitude. For example when we visit Lake Tahoe (6,200 ft. altitude) then the brake system produces the barking sound. The sound disappears at lower altitudes.

14. davidj08

davidj08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The guy selling it said all maintenance had been done at the dealer. I took him at his word because there was an oil change sticker in the window. Turns out he either a) wasn't telling the entire truth or b) didn't know as he was the CEO and had 42 employees (was a compay day off, he was the only one at the office and his name was on the title).

One way to check to see what was done at the dealer is to go to www.toyota.com and plug in the VIN in the "for owners" section to get a service history. Anything any dealer did should have been entered there. David

15. b8b

b8b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have it consistantly at 1200' (PHX area) :(

16. April&Daisy

April&Daisy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my white 2008 Package #2 this march for $16,315. It had 43k miles on it, so I'd say we got about the same deal. I was happy with it. Every other Prius I had found was priced way above KBB private party value, so I felt luck to find one that was priced fair. When I looked it up it was just under the private party blue book value for an "excellent" car of that year and mileage. Not sure what you put in to pull up $16,500 as trade in though. ?:confused: