1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Bought a 2010 Prius III

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jumping Jehosaphat, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jumping Jehosaphat

Jumping Jehosaphat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I LOVE it. I am still trying to figure out how to get good gas mileage out of it and what everything does (no manual). I seem to only be getting 35mpg, but that is still a hell of a good increase from my 2002 Crown Victoria! I just need to do some research. I drive almost 500 miles a week to and from my two jobs.

I fell in love with the Prius a few years ago when my roommate told me I could borrow her's to go to the store. It was such a smooth ride, and I had been thinking about it since then.

I am definitely looking to get some upgrades. I like the wheels the dealer put on (and they took off the plastic hubcaps), but am looking into window tints, led cup-holder lights, and a touchscreen radio/dvd/nav device (mine just has the ol' standard radio) so far (maybe a backup cam later).

My model is a 2010 Prius III in Winter Grey.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome and congratulations on your new purchase. Nice choice on both the car and the color :) I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

As for the mpg, that is mighty low for the miles that you are driving. Wheels, tire sizes and non-LRR tires can make a big difference in mpg. MPG also goes down with increasing speeds above about 60-65 mph.

Jumping Jehosaphat likes this.
  3. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PriusChat. You should be getting better mileage. Some things to check are tire pressure and health of the 12V battery. Others will be along with better suggestions.

4. Jumping Jehosaphat

Jumping Jehosaphat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do drive about 70-80 on the highway to work.... :/

5. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speed could be a factor, but we recently did a long trip in our 2013 where we drove 70-80 most of the way and still averaged 47mpg.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So was the Prius or your Roommate the smooth ride?

Joke, congrats enjoy the car.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Forgive JMD^, he is a little compulsive. ;)

Yeah, if you drive over 62mph, you are not likely to get the EPA of 50 mpg. Winter weather also causes a big it as the gas engine has to run to heat the cab. Hills can cause problems too.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Spider-man should know cold he is in that place with 6 months of darkness and freezing cold temperature with noting but the 4 walls and his internet connection to the world :)

9. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PRIUSchat and congrats on your 2010 Prius (y) !!
    I agree with all the above posts regarding poor MPG.

If you are lucky; Toyota dealership might have extra copy of 2010 manual. I'm not saying it is free, but it should be.
    Best of luck!! And enjoy your new ride:) .

10. art_vandelay

art_vandelay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on the buy. I just bought a 2010 III myself last week, and I'm loving it and averaging over 53 mpg after 100 miles. One thing I really appreciate -- I'm 6 foot 4, and I'm TOTALLY comfortable in the front seat (when the seat is properly lowered and slid back a few inches, of course). Even with the front seat properly adjusted for my frame, a full-grown adult can fit comfortably in the back seat. I love how this car is small in frame (at least smaller than what I'm used to), yet at the same time always seems to have more room than you'd think. Maybe it's the liftback style, I do not know.

From what I know there's likely an issue if you're only averaging 35 mpg. Even if you're driving 75 each way to work, 35 mpg sounds awfully low...

11. phickson

phickson Tron Pod Occupier

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four