1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2nd gen Prius and took it on a road trip

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by T.S. Elliot, Jul 3, 2015.

1. T.S. Elliot

T.S. Elliot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello all. I recently purchased a 2007 Prius from my dad. Today I drove from South Dakota to Texas. I absolutely love the car. It was a joy to drive.

Quick question: does anyone have experience with the sweet spot? I read Hobbit's article on it before I left and I was able to find it without additional gauges. My only problem was that I was not able to hold it for very long. Sometimes I could be at around 65mph and mpg at the same time for over a minute or two but would inevitably fall out of it on the flats. Hobbit's article doesn't describe this. Any thoughts on how to maintain it ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! how many miles on her? all the best.(y)

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  3. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you! I am really excited. I haven't owned a car for 3 years due to financial reasons so it's really good to be back. Car has 97xxx miles. A little high, but it has been well maintained and never been in a wreck.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's just broken in for a prius.:p

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  5. T.S. Elliot

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This was my first and best tank today. I was able to utilize the sweet spot a ton in the hills of Nebraska. I had trouble maintaining it when it was flat.

Attached Files:

Sergiospl likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    saweeeeet!!!;)

7. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hobbit is really enjoyable to read but I am afraid he is out my league , intellectually. I never found his sweet spots and never understood how by going faster, better MPG could occur. This is my 3rd Prius now and I have used the same procedures on all. Going down hill, put her in neutral to get up to 65 MPH, THEN BACK TO DRIVE, Always use the brakes for regeneration, lightly maintain 65 downhill. When driving flat on the freeway keep it at 55MPH in the right lane. You will create a rather large space in front of you which I call my safety zone, never have to worry about crashing into anybody. This also make the drivers behind extremely elated as they can now jump into that huge space and go faster, which they do sometimes right at a freeway entrance where a 10 car convoy is coming. Anyway I digress. Follow this system and stupendous MPG s will happen.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat - the very best place on the InterNet to learn all you'll ever need to know about all things Prius! Sounds like you found a good 'un, and you can always blame yer old-man if anything goes wrong!;) - but seriously, I was in much the same position about 18 months ago when my '93 Corolla DX Wagon failed inspection (rotted rocker-panels) - with 292,000 miles on the odometer, the engine/transmission was still sewing-machine-sweet, and it was with great sadness that I traded Pangur Bán in for the Chuggy Pig - I love my Gen II Prius and now the summer is here I'm getting around 50+ miles per gallon! Welcome again, and you'll get to learn lots of cool things you never even dreamed of about your Prius!!

#8 WilDavis, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good mileage for a 2007 which is almost 9 years old. I am at 84K on this 2011 which is about 5 years old now.
    Good job on the >55 mpg for 332 miles.

T.S. Elliot likes this.