1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a new car... No.. not a prius.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by lowspeed, Jun 21, 2007.

1. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Nissan Sentra 07. (we have an 06 prius)

Frankly ... i like the car a lot. nice handling. Smart entry. CVT... 36mpg. very quiet ride.

What makes it better than a prius ?
    1) No complex hybrid system, can be basically serviced anywhere and much cheaper to repair.
    2) Bluetooth voice recognition that actually works !
    3) Multiple cell phone association with auto select (by priority, so no need to select a new phone every time you swap cars with spouse)
    4) Price.
    5) better leg room in the front (6.1 here)
    6) Better reception on the smart entry keys, Much better reception when you manually press the remote key)
    7) Better seats.
    8) BIG BIG plus which i forgot at first - you can actually give the car to valley service or car wash, without worrying if they will know how to operate the car (and from 99% of the times i gave the car they did NOT know how to get it to start. One time i gave it to a car wash and he assured me he knew what he was doing... then i see him put the car and press the stop/start button (which turned the car off) i asked him what the hell is he doing because now the car is no longer in neutral... he said he didn't know that). So that piece of mind is a biggie.

What makes the prius better ?
    1) I love the LCD screen
    2) Much better steering wheels control
    3) Hatchback
    4) More leg room in the back
    5) backup camera
    6) Most likely less maintenance
    7) VSC option (the sentra doesn't have this option at all)
    8) Smart key senses your presence, the sentra only lets you press the black button)

--

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just don't put the Intelligent Key and your cellphone in the same pocket. Nissan released a statement saying that that could "blow" your Intelligent Key. No such issue (or statement release) from Toyota about our Smart Key.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 22 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]466216[/snapback]</div>

Sentra doesn't have this issue. its altimas and maximas, I think they use a different vendor.

4. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How about an emissions comparison.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Jun 22 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]466281[/snapback]</div>
    And mileage. That should be a big plus in the Prius column. Plus the Prius should have lower overall maintenance costs, although it's still too early to prove that conclusively.

Tom

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you make lots of good points, but all of them are regard you and your car, and what *you* find most pleasing about the automotive experience (that's an individual choice, of course)...glad you're enjoying the "multiple cell phone association with auto select"!

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 21 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]466168[/snapback]</div>
    IF the hybrid system fails inside of 150,000 miles it can be serviced at a Toyota dealer for free.

(Not sure how accurate this may be) WHEN the Sentra's engine fails it can be repaired anywhere for cash.

The Prius needs less service. Period. I may not spend a dime on brakes in 100,000 miles. The Nissan?

I'm glad you enjoy the new car. May you have many happy years with it.

8. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Don't get me wrong. The prius is nice. but i thought of sharing my experience comparing it to another car.

Oh and btw... If the planetary gear breaks after the regular power-train warranty you are out of luck it's not considered part of the hybrid system, even though the only reason you have it is for that purpose.

The one big factor that prevented us of getting another prius was the price. it was more than 8K$ in difference and we got 0.7% interest for 3 years.

We'll still use the prius on all the long trips. (i get the best MPG on the highway)

But all in all i think #8 , #1 and #4 are the main reason.

For example everytime i complained about something at the toyota dealer and they couldn't fix it or couldn't reproduce the problem they would say .. oh its an hybrid. Or when i would go to do oil changes i would need to wait longer cause there is only 1 certified prius tech, sometimes there weren't any on the weekend.

-----

9. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for sharing your insights. I think it's good to recognize that there are some improvements that we wish the Prius had. I know many of them are identified in other threads specifically addressing those issues. This discussion makes me want to go check my warranties again. However, I don't plan on losing any sleep over possible future repairs. So far my dealer has been easy to work with and I'm banking on Toyota's reputation for high quality functional vehicles.

I just remembered. Our local Firestone Center has Prius-trained techs if we need them. Hopefully we'll never need to test their efficiency and expense on any major repairs/replacements.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 22 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]466674[/snapback]</div>
    I can empathize with your dealer experiences. When complaining about my Intrigue, Mr. Goodwrench's first response was always, "It's supposed to do that." The second response was "Can't reproduce the problem."

I'm not sure if they were completely clueless or running a warranty scam when they returned the car with the same problem and a warranty invoice. You can't imagine how p o'd I was when the bimbo Service Writer asked if I had an appointment when I took the car right back to the shop.

I doubt any Toyota dealer is paying a certified Prius tech for an oil change. ANYONE can do it. Just ask the DIY posters here. IMO sounds like you have Crappy Dealer Experience and that is enough to go to another brand.

The bottom line is that you are happy with the new car and what you paid for it. Our priorities and experiences are just different and served best by different cars. Again, my best wishes for a long and happy relationship with the Nissan.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 22 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]466341[/snapback]</div>
    You can easily look up EPA mileage and emissions estimates at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm.

Using the new MY 2008+ rating system, the CVT Sentra is rated 25/33, 28 mpg combiend vs. 48/45, 46 combined for the Prius. GHG emissions are 6.6 tons/year vs. 4.0. For air pollution score, it's a 6 or 7 depending on whether it's a Cali/CARB version of the Sentra vs. 8 or 9.5 for the Prius.

Not meaning to burst the OP's bubble but Sentras have been made in Mexico for a LONG time and have had mixed reliability. I would not buy a first model year of the Nissan product (judging by how the 03 350Z and first model year Quests, Titans, Armadas and QX56s fared). (BTW, I am somewhat of a Nissan fan as I used to own two and follow the company and Carlos Ghosn.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 22 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]466674[/snapback]</div>
    The CVT or any transmission on any Nissan is covered by the same length warranty as Toyota powertrains: 5 years/60K miles.

As for not having any Prius certified techs on weekends, well, there are numerous Nissan dealerships (http://www.falorenissan.com/ is an example) which don't even have service departments open on weekends.

Attached Files:

12. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 23 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]467093[/snapback]</div>

Well we have both cars and i get 43-48 with the prius and so far averaged 33-36 with the nissan.

As far as CR charts... this is a redesigned for 07... so only time will tell. But i can attest that we have an 03 pathfinder (and before an 98 pathfinder) and they were both excellent)

Also if you look at the crash tests of the 06 and older they suck... the 07 got very good crash test rating.

It's really not a competition... the prius cost 8K more....

Oh and P.S i had shitty luck with the nissan dealer as well... (i hate dealers)

13. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 23 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]467093[/snapback]</div>
    I think that Consumer Reports report might fare up a little better with the 2007 Sentra, but I'm not too sure. I owned a 2005 Sentra for a little while. It was a nice little car! That is, however, until I saw the crash ratings for the thing. The older Sentras are definitely tin cans. I hope that the retooled Sentra fares better. I really do.

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 23 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]467102[/snapback]</div>
    I honestly wouldn't put much stock in CR's car reviews these days, as most people don't anymore. I've found the car repair history DB on truedelta.com to be really informative, as it goes into a bit of detail about trips to the dealer for major and minor issues, and you can see what was done. It's far superior to CR's hit and miss attitude with their reliability surveys.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 24 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]467278[/snapback]</div>
    Reviews are one thing. I can understand why people might not put faith in their car revieers. CR just posting statistics is a separate thing. As for most people not putting much stock in them... I don't know about that. Perhaps that's a true statement (as in, most people don't even LOOK at anyone's reliability rating), but amongst CR readers, I think that's not true.

As for truedelta.com, I think you were the one pushing them in the past and I'd never heard of them until they were brought up here. I most car owners have never heard of them either, which means their sample sizes are likely going to be too small to be accurate.

I've found CR's reliability results to be pretty accurate across all the vehicles my parents I and have owned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 24 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]467258[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt it. First model year reliability of virtually every make and model is worse than subsequent years. The 07 is the first model year of this new generation. They'd been making the previous gen for several years already.

As I stated earlier, the 1st model year Quest, Armada, Titan, and QX56 all fared VERY badly but they were built in a new plant in Canton, MS.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 24 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]467324[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I had first heard of truedelta from this site... and they seem to have quite a following. What's really refreshing is that unlike consumer reports, they actually look at what's going on when a car goes in for service. Instead of a red or black CR circle, which could mean anything, you get something like this (taken from a Corolla):

Month Year Odo Cost Description
    Aug 2004 0 0.00 Bought the car. Had paint chip one day 1, repaired right away by dealer
    Oct 2004 2000 0.00 Backseat's seam was pulled up, repaired under warranty
    Nov 2006 20000 0.00 Light was on saying door was open, but it was a missing part from the door. Check Engine light came on because gas cap was defective. Mechanic noticed a fluid leak which was repaired. All under warranty.
    Feb 2007 25000 0.00 Sold car back to dealer and replaced with 2007 Prius.

Again, I can't take CR seriously after the Monte Carlo paint thing was exposed... it really goes to show how little effort they put into quantifying the difference between a black and red circle, and I suspect that's just the tip of the iceberg.

17. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

We actually traded an Honda odyssey 07 to get the sentra.

And this is why:
    http://autos.yahoo.com/honda_odyssey-revie...=1&show=atl

Every single bad thing people say there is true.

Before we bought it, we actually read all the pro magazines etc etc... and they all said it was great! But it truly sucked.

--

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 21 2007, 10:48 PM) [snapback]466168[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowspeed @ Jun 22 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]466674[/snapback]</div>
    Where do you live? Alaska? I have never had anybody have a problem Valeting the Prius or at carwashes, and it doesn't take a Prius Tech to change the oil...

19. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the Nissan Sentra built in Mexico?

20. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 25 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]467610[/snapback]</div>
    Believe me i'm not pulling this out of my axx... i've been to many places In NY and NJ that get awfully confused when they have to use the start button.

I think what confuses them is the fact that you have to be pressing the brakes to start it.

And the scenario i had with the neutral at the car wash happened to me twice.

And yes i believe the sentra is made in Mexico... from this site
    http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/2007/Sentra/Description.htm

"The 2007 Sentra will be manufactured by Nissan Mexicana S.A. de CV (NMEX-DF), Aguascalientes, Mexico, which builds the current generation Sentra."