1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought an 05 with 90k miles, what all do I need to check?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Integraoligist, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Integraoligist

Integraoligist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    Bought an 05 with 90k miles on it about 2 weeks ago. Been rummaging through the forums and looking at random things but just wanted to go ahead and ask straight out...

What all do I need to check/replace maintenance wise?

I see that it only take 3.5qt of oil, I checked it and the dipstick says its full, not over full, and it's new oil so they must have done it at the dealership (not a Toyota dealership might i add).

Other then that I am not sure if the stock or hybrid battery has ever been replaced, or the spark plugs, or anything else.

I checked the air filter, seems like new, and the cabin filter is clean, only a couple leaves in it.

According to the display, I'm getting 40.5 (lower then many of you, I dont know why) and I fill up at E when it just starts to blink and it's around 7.75 to 8 gal that it holds (which i've seen to be normal with the bladder system).

I'm an hour south of Chicago, temp has been around high 50's the past couple of weeks and dropping to 40's next week. Me and the wife have both already adjusting our driving according to the suggestions on the forum but cant seem to get the mpg up, so I'm wondering if there is an issue somewhere that the sensors are not picking up?

Thanks all for the help!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    40.5 mpg is somewhat low for an 05 Prius. However, whenever you drive into a strong wind or drive on wet pavement, your fuel economy should decrease significantly (that's been my experience). Don't expect to get 45 to 50 mpg if you drive 75 mph or above. I usually drive 70 mph or less on the Interstates. Sometimes faster depending on traffic.

I have been averaging 47.3 mpg year round with about 43 mpg in the dead of winter to about 51 mpg in May and September. With winter approaching, you'll be lucky to get 45 mpg in Chicago from November to March. You'll probably average 42 or so depending on how cold it gets. You'll have to take a trip to a warmer climate (think Florida) to see what your summer fuel economy will be.

If your fuel economy does not improve, there's something wrong with your car. Troubleshooting what's causing the low mpg will probably be difficult.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check the tire pressure. Make sure it is at least 35PSI, most people recommend about 40PSI. It can make a bigger difference than you would think. Also, what model are the tires?
    How long are your trips? What kind of speeds do you usually do? Cold weather will hurt your mileage, especially if most of your trips are under 5-10 miles.
    You can check the maintenance history on this site: Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More You should at least be able to see what recalls have been done, if the previous owner didn't take it to the dealer for regular maintenance.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Take a look at the what tires are on there too. Rolling resistance could be pulling your mileage down, if the previous owner has replaced the tires with something so-so.