1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my first Prius. How did I do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dasanii9, Mar 26, 2011.

1. dasanii9

dasanii9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    HEY GUYS!! So I just bought a 2009 Prius for $17,800. Im wondering if I got a ok deal? Did I pay too much? Or was my offer just right?

Details:

Private party seller was asking $19,500 for his 2009 prius package #3, after some negotiating I finally got him down to $17,800.

Specs on the Prius:

2009 Toyota Prius Package 3 (Magnetic grey)

Millage 11,500

One owner/clean title

JBL system/6cd changer/speakers,Aux audio input (mini plug),mp3/wma playback capabilty, satalite radio and hands free phone bluetooth.

-VSC
    -Back up cam
    -Smart key
    -anti theft system
    -auto dimming mirror w/home link
    -cruise control, 15" alloy wheels w/trim ring
    seatback pockets
    carpet floor mats/cargo mat net
    2 auxillary 12v outlets

Attached Files:

2. PETEPRIUS

PETEPRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty good!

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that was a great deal. Assuming "clear title" also means no wrecks. 11,500 is IMO basically a new vehicle. I also like Gen 2 Prius, and the ability to get almost a new one, is a big win, IMO.

4. dasanii9

dasanii9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I did find one flaw which is a 1/2" long crack in the windshield. I didn't think it was a big deal considering how much money I will be saving in gas. ( I had a 4runner before)

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it hasn't already been done then get it "drilled and filled", otherwise it may grow and then you'll need a new one.

6. nottheliving

nottheliving New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good deal to me! I bought a 09 as well just the other day.....Mine wasnt as cherry as yours, and also had 40K miles!

Happy Motoring!!

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I paid $24k for my 2009 Touring #5 (in late 2009) w/ 10k miles, so I think you did excellent.

8. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow Dasanii, I think you did great! The new car is going to be a delight to own and operate. Its a beauty, I am jealous! :rockon:

9. dasanii9

dasanii9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone! :)

10. dasanii9

dasanii9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just filled up today and the pump wouldn't let me put in a full tank, only 3/4. Does anyone else have this issue? Also, how many miles do you guys get on a full tank of gas? What is my tanks capacity?

11. AStuke

AStuke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great deal! We bought an 09 package 2 with 51k miles on it for that price, yesterday! Dealership with sales tax, title, registration and warranty included (came out to 22k)

12. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great find. Congrats! Of course when you buy a Gen II you have to deal with the dreaded gas tank bladder. In cold weather it tends to shrink and not allow you to fill up all the way.

13. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great success! I wonder why on earth someone would fold so much on the price! I mean the seller took an $5k loss for 18 months of ownership, that's how much German cars depreciate not Japanese ones!

Your tank's capacity fluctuates depending on weather. In reality it goes from 8 gallon fillups in mid-20s winter weather to 10.5 ga fillup in mid 80s summer weather. It really varies. Do not force more gas than the pump lets you. If the pump stops very quickly (i.e. every 0.2 ga) use your finger to push the nozzle seal and allow some air in. Also, if your car ever runs out of gas do not use the traction battery below the 3 bars because you risk reducing the S.O.C. so low that you may cause irreparable damage to the main battery.

Unless you DIY make sure your dealer:

1) Does not overfill your oil (Give them 4 quarts max, teh car takes ~3.8)
    2) Does not under-inflate your tires (inflate them to 42/40 or even 44/44 psi for best performance, treadware and longevity)
    3) Does not charge you for warranties or services you don't need.

Other than oil changes and cabin filter changes you do not need to worry about maintenance until about 30 kmi where the fastidious Prius owners like to replace the transaxle fluid and the 12V battery (~3.5 years).

Also never jump start another car, your 12 V battery isn't made for that.
    Finally, don't allow anyone to jump start your car unless you are absolutely certain you get the polarities right. Messing them up will fry your expensive inverter!