1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my first Prius...need some pointers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kkaylor7, Jan 16, 2012.

1. kkaylor7

kkaylor7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I just recently bought my first Prius. I was previously driving an 04 Lexus RX 330. But I wanted something cheaper, and cheaper on gas. So far I like my purchase. I just want a few pointers...

1. It has 17 inch wheels low profile tires. The road noise is terrible (don't know if I am extra sensitive or not, coming from the lexus). But would it help on the road noise and gas mileage to switch to 15 inch?

Also, what are the best tires for a quite ride on 15 or even 17 inch?

2. What are some major things I need to know, or look out for or do? I am totally ignorant on the whole concept of driving a Prius.

3. I drive up and down a small mtn every day to work. So should I use the B gear while driving down the mtn. It is not a super steep mtn, only about 2 miles top to bottom (not really sure of the grade).

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B mode is there to avoid extended use of the hydraulic brakes, which would cause them to overheat and be damaged. You should use B mode if:
    - The descent fills up your battery OR
    - You have to brake so hard to prevent the car from accelerating that the car must use the hydraulic brakes instead of regenerative braking.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome!

See the links in my signature for some mpg tips, including a basic video. I agree with INATM's b-mode response. If the hill is filling your battery, attempt to use some EV before descending to make room for more regen braking. (EV near the end of the uphill, e.g.)

It will be louder than your lexus. The 15's may be bit better. I have the 15's, but I keep them fully inflated (44+), and there is road noise. If you find smoother routes or drive a bit slower that will help the noise also.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its not a very quiet car to begin with and very sensitive to tires. Its ridiculous how loud road noise is with the stock Integrities for instance.

I'm on new Kumho's right now 185-65-15 and there pretty quiet.
    Still pretty loud on asphault.

I don't think wheel height (17's) makes alot of difference in road noise but the profile sure does because thats how much sidewall is between you and the road. Anything lower than 60
    would greatly exacerbate road noise. If your running like a 40 forget it. It would handle a little better but I hope there's not alot of potholes by you because that profile would hit hard!