1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my Prius - early mileage questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ntipton2011, Feb 19, 2011.

1. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my Prius 2 days ago and I am now on a long car trip. On I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley (a lot of hills).

I think I understand how to drive the car, but I was fighting to get the car to stay around 50mpg - even on flat terrain it wanted to be down around 35. I tried using cruise control, I tried manual. Going up hill I'd get 19-28... almost always coasting to 99.9 down hill (though a couple times it would be low then too) but the flat time is what really killed me.

I ended up getting 39.6mpg and I only hit the brakes 3 times, twice when someone cut me off and once when I was getting off the highway.

One thing I noticed was that the battery would rarely power the tires. It would keep flashing back and forth from being charged to for a split second powering the tires. Some times there was just the yellow between the motor and the tires, the orange between the engine, motor, and tires, and nothing between the motor and battery. It seemed very erratic - constantly changing back and forth but usually just switching from charging the battery to briefly (most times less than a second back and forth and back and forth) powering the tires with both motors.

What was really frustrating is that with identical driving (sometimes even on cruise control) I could get it to stay around 50mpg - but then inexplicably, under similar circumstances it would just hover around 30-35 for extended periods of time.

I was travelling between 65-80 depending on the speed limit. The vast majority of the time, the speed was set at 77 on cruise control.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You being at 77 mph and colder weather is what's hurting your mileage. I'd never even heard of Shenandoah Valley until I looked it up. I don't know how accurate this site is but I see temps at History : Weather Underground. Without knowing your tires and tire pressure, I don't think your mileage is that far off for 77 mph in the winter.

To take from the http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html:
    - What are the approximate outside air temps?

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick)

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).

- What are your tire pressures?

At Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Tested: Speed vs fuel economy, they did some tests of mileage vs. speed. Too bad no Priuses were in there. Bob Wilson at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/68731-consumer-reports-mph-vs-mpg.html did some work on mph vs. MPG but he's not active on PC anymore. :( He also never owned a NHW20 (what you have). He only had a NHW11 (1st gen) and ZVW30 (3rd gen).

I don't recall if he or anyone else did a lot more work on plotting mph vs. MPG for the NHW20. Bob was pretty thorough (another example at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/64355-puzzle-75-mph-vs-80-mph.html). But again, he never had a NHW20 and the ZVW30 does better on the highway than the NHW20.

The behavior you describe about the "flashing back and forth" on the MFD is normal when using cruise control on the highway. I wouldn't worry about it.

Since you mention "fighting to get the car to stay around 50mpg", you're not going to get 50 mpg at 77 mph on level ground a 2nd gen Prius (well, maybe w/a strong tailwind). It sounds like you have some expectations set based upon EPA ratings (48 city/45 highway, 46 combined) or what people have self-reported. If it's based on EPA, you might find http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...uth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.html insightful (average speed on "highway" and "high speed" portions is only ~48 mph).

There is so called "superhighway mode" (SHM) but as I posted at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...y-mode-alternative-65-75-mph-range-hints.html, when I lived in the Bay Area, I found it completely unsuitable for the speeds I needed to maintain. It would be even less suitable for you and you'd need a http://www.scangauge.com/.

1 person likes this.
  3. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

We actually had unseasonably warm weather yesterday (mid 60s). However, we also had unseasonably high winds (around 30 constant, to 60mph gusts) and they were rarely at my back.

My expectations were based on Consumer Report's road tests and what people reported here and on other sites. I wasnt expecting a 50mpg average, but its hard to get above 40mpg average and not hit 50 pretty frequently!

Overall, I was expecting about 42-45 - I'll check my tire pressure at the gas station this morning. I'm guessing that my high rate of speed, pretty hilly environment, and being buffeted (sometimes direct nose wind) by those high gusts probably didnt help. Temperatures will be mild again today (57 high) and I believe the road flattens out after Roanoke.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I live on windy coastal plains. High winds and high speed driving are what lowered you mpg. The Prius and most other hybrids get there best mpg's in city/urban driving at speeds between 30-60mph where the electric assist is at its most efficient.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You purchased your Prius 2 days ago, and this is your first long trip? So I guess my advice would be don't worry about "early mileage". A better picture of the mileage you are capable of routinely achieving will come with time.

If you already haven't looked it up, this site has a wealth of information in regards to tips for maximizing Prius gas mileage. Tire Inflation, Driving Techniques, Etc...

You did say you had your cruise control set at 77...well any vehicle will be more efficient at 65, 60 or even 55 mph than 77....

6. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it was definitely the hills, speed limit (70), and wind. What would an experienced driver get in these conditions, do you think?

7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only winds within about 15 degrees of your tail help mpg. Head and side winds are killers. What you have described and achieved is reasonable, even with more experience.

When you get a chance, reset trip B and check your cruising mpg at any or all of 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 on reasonably flat ground with light wind and warm temps. Then compare to bobwilson4web's graph. You should be in the ball park.

Have a little patience. Good luck.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stop analyzing and just drive the car for a few tankfuls then report back. Your current results mean very little and no one can really give you advice until you establish a baseline. :)

9. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's absolutely the high speed, unfortunately there's no way around that. I once got caught in a traffic jam in my Prius on the highway, and had to book it like a wild librarian after to make up for lost time. Driving like a maniac and at comparable speeds to you I got 43-44 mpg for the 50 mile or so highway trip, so 39 mpg for high winds and hills is not surprising.

It's also best to get used to the car like many have mentioned. That being said, here's my two cents anyhow. :-D

Get up to speed fairly quickly on the highway. Pick a top speed that's nice and slow, let's say 68 mph or so (it's all relative, isn't it...). Don't try to gently edge up to speed, because then you'll always be accelerating in that 35 mpg range like you mentioned. Once you're there, back off slightly on the accelerator, and if you're on a flat or downhill you will likely barely maintain speed or lose a little, but your mileage will shoot up into the 70s or more as instantaneous mpg. This is called Super Highway Mode, read up on the threads others have provided. Since you want to stay relatively quick, just accelerate back up to 68 mph or so whe you hit 60 mph.

Secondly, for the downhills, don't coast with regen braking (not sure if you meant that or not - that's with your foot off the gas pedal completely). Instead, let up and reapply just a hair. You'll see the yellow arrows come on from the battery. This is called Warp Stealth and is brilliant on downslopes or before taking an exit. This is not a huge drain on the battery as you might think, but you're not using fuel while also not slowing as much like you would with the foot off the pedal. It is the most fuel efficient possibility on the highway and should be used as much as possible.

What it boils down to is get to speed, then find the minimum amount of pedal needed to keep the thing moving. Slow slightly to take advantage of various states described above then reaccelerate lightly, etc., and enjoy the better mileage.

10. sevlillevik

sevlillevik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    19-28 mpg seems pretty low. I usually get 25-30 mpg when going up hills. How long was your drive? Wind and going 75 mph could have an effect, but I don't think that it would be that bad. I'd test it out and record the fuel mileage for a couple of tanks, but it does not sound too good.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you driving up hills with comparable grade at comparable speeds?

12. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, to the original poster I'd confirm that I regularly get as low as 19 instant mpg while climbing tough hills, and average on those I'd say more like 23-25. I wouldn't be concerned by those numbers.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    High wind and high speed is an MPG killer. 40 MPG is probably about right under those conditions.

Do a bit of "around town" driving and you'll be averaging up around 50 MPG no problems.

14. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked my oil and it is a bit high too. Whydoes that sometimes contribute to mpg issues?

I've been getting excellent mileage except in the holly interstate.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine has to work a little harder sloshing through the extra oil. It may also hasten the dirtying of the throttle plate and the MAF sensor.

Check tire pressures at least monthly, and check them when "cold" (that is having driven no more than 1 mile in the previous hour). Keeping the tires at 42/40 PSI front/rear makes it easier to get better MPGs.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me admit upfront, a disadvantage and a philosophy approach I "try" to embrace for myself. I currently do not own a Prius. So I hesitate to give direct commentary...as to what an "experienced" driver would get under simular situations..that's better left to the experienced drivers...

I'll make a semi-exception...and say given my time spent in Prius Chat..and my knowledge of Prius..I don't think the numbers you present, given the conditions applied, necessarily raise any red flags that you have a problem.

So I feel confident in presenting the idea that you simply do not worry too much about initial numbers based on an early road trip, under less than ideal circumstance.

It's almost like medicine. "If" you have a problem? It will get worse, and/or become undeniable..

At this point? I'd say averaging almost 40 mpg..on a long road trip, with hills, wind and an average speed of 77 miles per hour...is IMO actually pretty good.

My guess...is you are fine. Wait for summer, look up tips and advice here..and I bet you can just consistently improve...

17. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I just did a trip DC>Richmond>DC - long grades but less incline... and averaged 54. Accelerating up hills was down near 25 mpg, I tried to allow myself to decelerate as I went uphill to not drop much below the 25-30 range. As soon at I crested the hill I backed off the accelerator all the way and then re-applied until the MPG was in the upper 70s to maintain speed / build speed back until I could coast.

My average speed was probably lower 70s mph, same day, similar temps, maybe slightly less wind, definitley milder hills. The car has mid-life Michelin (?? low resistance?) at 42/40psi.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^ That's pretty good MPG for the speed you were traveling.:)