1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought the 2012 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Avah Ayala, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Avah Ayala

Avah Ayala New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    guys just wanted to ask a couple questions. I'm not sure what model I have, because I've been reading and the Prius C 1 is not supposed to have a middle seat it's just supposed to have two? The guy at the toyota dealership didn't know but the car was in great shape regardless so I bought it. Then again I know that the Prius C 1 isn't supposed to have a center console and mine doesn't but it seats 3, and has like a seat belt on the roof of the car near left side of the trunk. Which model do I have?

Also how do you guys start the engine? I've been turning the key very briefly then releasing it, and then like 30 sec later the engine starts and I can hear it. Sometimes it doesn't start like that though and I have to tap the gas pedal, is this bad? How do you guys normally start your engines?

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have a C but I assume things are the same. The instrument cluster should have a ready indicator, whether the engine is running or not that light indicates the car is ready to move. The engine doesn't need to start every time you turn the key, as it may be in ev mode.

SCH-R530M ?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Avah. Welcome to Priuschat and congrats on your new Prius c.

As for the engine, it doesn't always come on immediately. This is something you will need to get accustomed to. After all, that's half the point of a hybrid.

Also, where are you located, geographically? You can be generic, if you like. This might help with your question about the Prius c package.

Again, welcome to Priuschat!

TatumRob likes this.
  4. Avah Ayala

Avah Ayala New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I bought it in Miami, FL from the Toyota dealer

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! the engine comes on by itself when needed. otherwise, you're running on an electric motor and battery power, no gas! all the best!(y)

6. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    congrats. with no arm rest, sounds like you got the c1.

7. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats.

As bisco & jzchen said - gas engine runs when needed.

When you turn the key a lighted notice will say "Ready" on your instrument panel - this indicates that the car is ready to go. The gas engine does not need to be running to start driving as the car will often start out running on the electric motor. As you drive faster the gas engine will come on - usually when you hit about 15+ mph. The gas engine runs when it is needed and shuts down when not needed - does take:oops:ing some getting used to.

My friend is a long time professional mechanic - does not drive a hybrid but says they seem to be very reliable. Said the first time he drove a Prius he was startled when the gas engine shut down at a stop light. Being a mechanic he thought the car had died.:)

8. Avah Ayala

Avah Ayala New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

Thank you! really cleared things up!

9. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Easiest way to tell is Prius C1 has the headrest incorporated into the seat - all one piece, no removable headrest. The C1 also has no split seat in the back, meaning it all comes down in one piece, you cannot fold them down 60/40.

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Sounds like you have a C1. The seat base is the same shape in all models and all can take three people in the back (though it is a squeeze for the third person and they will sit higher).

Some of the key differences the C2 has over the C1:

• 60/40 foldable rear seat (the C1 seat is also foldable, but only as one piece)
    • Cruise control
    • Centre console with armrest
    • Cargo area tonneau cover
    Just look for the READY light and you're good to go. In North America, the ICE (internal combustion engine) will start a warm-up cycle after a period of time if it isn't already warmed up. If it is warmed up, the engine may not come on until the first time you press the pedal past a certain point. When people try to really optimise their fuel consumption they sometimes have different approaches to what they do while the car is warming up, but you don't have to worry about it, especially when you're new to the car. The car will normally feel sluggish during the initial warm up, but this is normal.

Initially the ICE coming on and off will be a bit disconcerting - sometimes it won't come on when you expect it to, sometimes it won't stop when you expect it to. You'll get used to the car's ways in time... it's a different exeprience, but it knows what it's doing. :)

ewaboy and minkus like this.
  11. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

10 mph when it's from a cold start.

ewaboy likes this.