1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just can't get MK1 Prius going, any help anybody???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mk1PRIUSowner, Jun 30, 2008.

1. mk1PRIUSowner

mk1PRIUSowner MK1 Prius, I've got lots of em

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hi there fellow prius drivers!

I have trouble getting my MK1 (0) prius (1998) going.

It's been sitting for the last year and a half unstarted... (I know, bad idea..)

Now, I've added a new 12 volt battery, filled up the gas tank and cleaned the MAF.

I have after several non-succesful attempts, finally succesfully tried the NiMH battery charger that is build into the car in the boot. First 5 or so times it came back with "fault".
    I persevered, and suddenly when I long pressed the button, it went "charge". This lasted for 10 minutes or so and then the light started flashing green.
    I thought "great", just start her up now!!

But got disillusioned when I turned the key repeatedly, but no action. The square appears around my "P" indicator as it should.

I also tried starting by putting the car in "D" and pressing the accelerator, to no success...

Anybody out there that has any further ideas on how to get the old girl moving again please??

Regards, HUGO
    Australia

2. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi mk1PRIUSowner,

Did you use another 12V large capacity battery or the onboard 12V battery for the charging? If you used the latter, it would have been discharged by trying to charge the HV battery.

Please check out this post on the charging procedures:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-t...998-mk1-prius-codes-need-help.html#post544190

If you can pull out the codes, post back here so that we can have a better idea of what could be wrong.