1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just clear those codes ....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ChapmanF, Jan 8, 2024.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Boeing Max 9 Plane Had Been Barred From Long Flights Over Water - The New York Times

Somewhere on the internet, there is a Boeing Max 9 Forum with a post on it like "I found the the pin trick on YouTube and used it to reset the code but it still blew out a door plug and depressurized 16,000 feet over Portland ...."

#1 ChapmanF, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    douglasjre and Brian1954 like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course that forum will all be employees of Boeing and the lower paid and smarter employees will be wondering how much they can talk down the malfeasance of those above them without getting in trouble for insubordination. What a huge mess Boeing keeps turning into. The amount of years their planes have been grounded for trying to cut corners on life saving flight systems to save money has killed lots of people and is shameful by every measure. Of course as far as their executives are concerned, it's something the lobbyists can deal with so they can continue to build their planes as cheaply as possible.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Story out now that there were warning of an issue the three prior flights that plane took. Phone blown out the hole may be the worst but I'm sure lawyers will be involved for emotional trauma claims.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that was the code they reset and kept flying.

Anyway, what would a cabin pressurization code have to do with blowing a door plug out of the cabin?

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At this point, after the Air Max debacle where they didn't require training for pilots on the new systems to cut costs for their buyers they've become used to lawyers handling the liability for killing a few hundred people in plane crashes more than once on occasion because as long as their corporate lobbyists keep doing their job preventing federal oversight all those deaths don't cost that much to them anymore and cost benefit analysis makes it no big deal to them anymore.

Is it any wonder their commercial space program has been a failure by every measure?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe that belongs on the vent thread?

This one's about the wisdom of clearing codes to keep driving/flying without solving the problem being warned about.

vvillovv likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally agree... There's a serious lack of strict rules and moderation here on the Fred's House of Pancakes forum, especially when it comes to making sense of what people are trying to be funny about! :) WE NEED MORE RULES!!!

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No kidding. That almost makes it sound like they've got three four major outstanding problems when you count the engine de-ice issue and the bolt misalignment situation.

This thing wasn't a door. It was what they were supposed to install when the customer didn't want there to be a door at that location.

So, really just a modular bit of wall.

We've heard of windows blowing out of planes going back to the first days of pressurized high altitude travel. But losing a permanently-attached bit of the fuselage wall is really, really not supposed to happen.

So, how would the plug have affected the pressurization system other than blowing out like that?

The way I read it, there's pressurization problems, faulty plugs, the engine de-ice problem and the bolt problem all in play. Quatro.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe it's all just because the buyer for Alaska Airlines accidentally checked the box for "no door, but might upgrade to a door later on, when it's convenient for Boeing to make that upgrade." That'd solve lots of problems if it happened that way.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sort of from my earliest days of flying, as I sat there chewing gum and yawning and doing all the things trying to make my ears hurt less, I wondered "if they're going to pressurize the cabin anyway, why not just keep the pressure the same as on the ground and then my #*&^% ears wouldn't hurt!".

Seems pretty clear they control the cabin pressure to some lower value that is still enough for people to breathe normally, and keep the ear discomfort bearable, but doesn't require them to build a fuselage heavy enough to be a pressure vessel holding 101 kPa inside against 26 kPa outside. So instead they let the cabin pressure drop to more like 75 to 80 kPa (Wikipedia, calculator).

So if you're getting a trouble code from the regulating equipment that maintains the target, reduced, air pressure inside your cabin, you might want to limit the number of times you reset that code and go flying again.

The first thing I noticed in the photo in the first article I saw was "look, what a very nice, tidy, rounded-corners, large opening. Was that where an exit door went?"

Clearly there wasn't the kind of damage you'd see from "losing a permanently-attached bit of the fuselage wall".

Much more what you'd see from losing the blank featureless door-shaped thing installed in the door-shaped hole in place of the full-featured door with a handle that could have been installed there.

Sure, the door plug blowing out Should Not Have Happened.

But if the cabin pressure regulation is wonky and the inside pressure is too much higher than the outside pressure, of all the things that Should Not Happen, which will happen first?

After the first thing happens, the next things don't have to happen, because the pressure is lower now.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll say that the extra pressurization used in the 787 and A350 is noticeable as a comfort item, having spent a few days aboard each. They pressurize down to about 6,000' where most jets only do 8,000'.

I suppose we could argue about what's a door and what's a permanent wall, but I think we already agree that whatever it was should have stayed attached to the rest of the airplane for decades longer.

Regarding overpressure, I understand there to be a relief valve independent from other plumbing built into the pressurization system.

Apart from that, I understand there to be a burst disc in the rear cabin bulkhead so that a massive overpressurization can damage only that item in a controlled fashion.

#11 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 8, 2024
    PriusCamper likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Double and triple checking stuff matters... I've seen too many customers install their own Project Lithium pack and forgetting to tighten one of the bus bar nuts, which heats up the nearest cells in pack destroying ways. I've also on occasion found my own loose nuts when double checking the torque on all my bus before install. It almost always happens becuase the car's owner is asking me lots of question while I work despite me warning them that I need to focus on the work, not on talking.

And with aircraft and spacecraft the level of double and triple and quadruple checking you need to make sure nobody dies or billions of dollars aren't lost has to be huge. Of course Boeing executives doing a cost-benfit analysis on eliminating reduncancy is favorable to them no matter how many people they kill because they know the FAA isn't going to punish them in a way that will destroy their business, nor will case law that protects the airline from going out of business no matter how many people they kill by cutting costs.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like that plane part that fell off has been found intact and no dents or damage... Just like us treeclimbers hope for if our rigging ever fails, a bunch of young tightly packed branches 15 ft. from the ground can create a relatively soft landing so your ribs don't explode into your internal organs like shrapnel. Or like my USFS contract climber friend whose aorta ruptured like a water balloon on impact. Never underestimate how good bushy trees are at breaking your fall.

Photos, video show Alaska Airlines door plug in grass at suburban Portland home - oregonlive.com

#13 PriusCamper, Jan 8, 2024
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    iPhone dropped from Alaska Airlines flight found intact in Portland

Not at all surprised.
    When I was in the sandbox, radios sometimes got dropped from helos with little or no damage.
    If I were the Apples, I'd give the kid a $10,000 gift cert for the phone and start making ads.

Imagine if the camera had been filming at the time.....

@ 737MAX:

The hits just keep on coming for Boeing, eh?
    I get the commonality parts but there's not enough of a difference between a dash 900 and the MAXX to justify the pain.
    Since there's over 1300 hulls in service, they're going to have to keep polishing the turd, but I'd quietly start calling them something else.

Maybe... 737-BBB (built-back-better.)

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most versions of the old Murphy's Laws list still include "a transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first."

[​IMG]

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Come on man!!! This clearly isn't an electrical system, it's a door that was incorrectly modified to no longer be a door dude!!! Even the Duke's of Hazard were smart enough to know you need to weld a door shut if you're no longer gonna use it as a door.

#16 PriusCamper, Jan 8, 2024
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But if they had welded that shut, they might have to replace that burst disc now, and this way, they've been spared that expense.

18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Agreed... We are talking about Boeing here. I mean, the bonuses for their executives aren't tied to how many planes they actually sell but how confusing and complicated they can make it for the agencies who regulate them so they don't have to worry about being regulated as much. So your point, at least from their perspective, is valid!

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a really funny list. I'd seen some bits of those distributed in pre-internet forms but that one seems comprehensive. Thanks!

*and by funny I mean achingly true in far too many situations

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Article this morning about bolts for the door plug.

Maybe it was leaking on some flights before it let go, and the ignored trouble code was a low-pressure code?

Wonder if anybody in nearby seats heard it whooshing on the earlier flights.