1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got a 200k mile Prius. What can I do to ensure reliability and longevity?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JoshPeck, Jul 29, 2022.

1. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,

Thanks for the wealth of info you have all shared on here. I have already done some searching and begun working on what seem like commonly overlooked preventative maintenance.

I'm curious what I can do to shore up reliability on the 200k mile 2007 Prius I just acquired.

So far I have cleaned the battery cooling fan. right before I got it, it had brakes and muffler serviced.

Last transaxle fluid replacement was around 110k, so that is on my list, along with PCV and spark plug replacement.

I have also read that the inverter pump is worth replacing. Is that worth doing preventatively?

Car currently has a p0171 code. I have read that this could be a vacuum leak behind the MAF or fuel pump on its way out. Any chance it is the downstream o2 sensor? previous owner saw a mechanic that said it was likely that o2 sensor.

Thanks!

Simbaboy likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    keep an eye on the oil level, many g2's burn a lot and low oil isn't alarmed until the engine blows.
    air and cabin filters, tyres pressure, 12 volt health, all fluids, do you know any maintenance history?

JoshPeck likes this.
  3. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It had a front end collision at around 120k so it got a new radiator and coolant then and a lot of corresponding parts. Has had good regular oil changes. Checked cabin air already. will check engine air filter and fluid levels this week. Just got an oil change a thousand miles back.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my experience the first warning is check engine light flickering (w/misfire error code) at 2 quarts down or red triangle on hard braking...

Tombukt2 and JoshPeck like this.
  5. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh also, it's had serpentine belt as well.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I hope you got it for reasonable because it 200k it's pretty much used up you got about 100K to go and you might be able to make that without having to do the brake actuator stuff like that if you're really lucky and by that time 300k everything should be changed and you'll be in something else but on the other hand if it's in real good shape and you take good care of it should go to 600k

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Preventative? Maybe better to make sure all maintenance items are looked after. Get a proper code reader for specific Prius codes such as the Autel AP200. Your inverter pump may last another 50K, why chance replacing it, the replacement might have a shorter life, better to monitor the inverter coolant reservoir, watch to see if the coolant is in motion. Be vigilant regards engine oil level.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might get dr prius app for a battery health check. grid charger to recondition the battery, or just save the money for a new battery if/when needed.

9. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    any recommendations on a grid charger?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only one i've read about is prolong from hybrid automotive. there are quite a few threads here.

11. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will keep an eye on inverter coolant. I had read that inverter pump failures are common and take out the inverter. I'm looking for common failures that are worth heading off before they happen. IE cleaning the battery cooling fan to prevent battery overheating.

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After you clean it, Toyota now makes an OEM gen2 battery cooling fan filter screen that snaps on easily in the cabin. Won’t trap the smallest stuff but it does keep larger crap out like pet hair. Available online or at dealers.

13. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I remember right, it's much more likely to just be a dirty MAF sensor. Costs about $10 for a can of MAF spray cleaner, a Q-tip or two and about 30 minutes of your time.

Read this thread. I learned a lesson in it.

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1) | PriusChat

#14 TMR-JWAP, Aug 3, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For the P0171, pretty much the first thing I would do on an older Toyota is to carefully clean the MAF sensor (and the throttle body bore while you're there). Then clear the ECM codes and drive it while watching short term and long term fuel trim (ideally ST + LT together should be near 0%, but I can live with up to +/-10%).

Use spray MAF cleaner (or brake clean) but the sensing elements on the MAF are delicate. Use cleaner on a rag and an old toothbrush to scrub the side of the throttle body bore where the throttle blade is (when the blade is closed). DSC_7605.JPG dirty_maf.JPG DSC_3737_2.JPG DSC_2006priusTB.JPG

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just cleaned the MAF. Will do the throttle body next week when the PCV and Plugs I ordered arrive. Thanks for the info on fuel trim!

17. JoshPeck

JoshPeck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Code hasn't come back since cleaning the MAF ~300 miles ago, so seems that solved it! I did also clean the throttle body, replace pcv and spark plugs.

Trying to decide if it's worth trying to recondition the battery vs running it till it needs replacement. Same for the inverter pump. seems like it might be worth replacing it so it doesn't take out the inverter if it fails.

18. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a good question. My IR is creeping up and I still get good mpg on my original battery but I’ve often wondered if leaving well enough alone is a good strategy or if reconditioning would get me something.
    I’ve never seen or maybe I missed it, specific advice on when reconditioning should be done. Then there’s the issue of causing more harm if something goes awry.
    What are the specific criteria?

19. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The only thing you can really mess up on these cars is the oil level. In the winter a 200k+ will lose quarts and quarts of oil. If you're far up north, you may have to add a quart every 500 miles or so. There is nothing you can do. But with the gas savings it's still very economical.

EDIT: Get Techstream too, along with the special obd. ~40 dollars and worth it's weight in gold, literally.