1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Got A Black One in Only 5 Days !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stevedegraw, May 6, 2006.

1. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Just picked up a new 2006 black package #8 Prius last night (Cinco de Mayo) here in San Diego after waiting only 5 days. Very Cool!!! I ordered it and was told to expect at least a 45 day minimum wait but one "fell out of escrow".

Luckily, I checked out this forum and it saved me from the dealer's extended warranty...thank you so much all ! Now I'm going for the window tint. I would expect that the Prius will remain hard to get and that this forum will explode with members because there are so many others like me out there. I am one of those knuckleheads that had two monster Yukon SUVs (great trucks,no repairs to 110 K miles before sold). We sold one of them a week ago (yes we have one left) because it seemed silly to be driving around alone in that beast. Then when test driving various cars, for fun I tried a Prius and was astonished at the quietness, comfort, the data feedback, the room, the pep and the smooth ride. After the first drive in my new black beauty I spent most of the night reading up on it, though probably not enough to count as sleeping in it. Can't wait to learn how to drive it.

What to do about the remaining SUV, anyone want to buy a 2004 Yukon XL "package #8" ?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    congrats on the new car :) it's a real blast to drive and i can't imagine how much gas you'll save compared to your yukon!

window tint is nice, especially on the black. we had 35% done all around and it's sharp! i'm sure you'll find a ton of other things you'll want to do to it... modding a prius is just so much fun B)

congrats again and welcome to the cult... i mean club!

3. Enclenta

Enclenta New Member

Congratulations on your new car. Like "galaxee" said, just wait until you go to the next gas pump trip.

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 6 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]250800[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats, Karnac ("The Magnificent"!).

I'd guess if gas goes over, say, $3.50 this summer you'll figure out what to do with the other Yukon. :rolleyes:

(I have two Priuses.)

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lucky snag, and definately exception to the norm.

My parents picked up their '06 Black right off the lot, which was highly unusual. They weren't really willing to wait though. It's a basic #1 car, however, which is the only reason it wasn't marked up, and easily available. Others packages were either high markup and/or long wait.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Trade your other Yukon for a Sienna Limited. You won't regret it. Unless of course you're holding out for Sienna Hybrid, like me.

I hate to say it outloud, but check out the Odyssey before buying the Sienna, you may prefer it. It has better handling, is a hair wider inside, a better transmission downshifting algorithm, and cylinder deactivation.

Maybe you better not, though, one test drive in a Sienna Limited or Odyssey Touring and your Yukon will feel cumbersome and clunky.

Nate

7. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on your new Prius. I have a 2006 Black #8 myself. I have had it about 7 weeks and already have 4300 miles on it. Welcome to the club!

Cary in South Dakota.

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Woo Hoo!!!

There is a new black one in our condo parking lot here in La Mesa. I let my Salsa sit next to it just before her bath. Those black ones are beautiful!

I, also traded a larger vehicle for the Prius. You will not regret it and you will be shocked at how much stuff will fit into it....just remember the ground clearance is gone so no more running over curbs!!

9. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and great advice. Must be a sort of a contact high when the rookies gush about thier new Prius adventures. Hopefully someday I can be the wise veteran and help the new pups.

In my first 24 hours today I got my iPod working ($ 5 cable from radio shack), sent off the form for my California Clean Air/HOV sticker, programed some destinations in the NAV and scheduled the tinting for next week - 35% as was suggested, all that thanks to this Prius Chat Forum. Awesome!

I'm at about 45 MPG after 80 miles but something is wrong with the fuel gauge it hasn't moved.....only down side is I did scraped a curb that I used to run over in the Yukon. My neighbors saw the Prius in the driveway and stopped in the street to ask, "Wow, I didn't figure you for the enviro type " I said "Yeah, I figured it was time I grew up".

A few stoopid questions....

1. What is plural for Prius ?
    2. What is the best type of surf board rack for my black beauty ?
    3. My daughter said she didn't think the Prius was very manly (vs my ex-Yukon)- any answer help with that one out there ?

To the La Mesa Salsa pkg # 8, see you out there on the road, we're around Mission Bay. If I took off the parking brake I could coast down onto the roof of my dealer, Mossy Toyota.

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome aboard! I'm a one-month owner with about 1500 miles on mine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 6 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]250951[/snapback]</div>
    The fuel gauge is somewhat nonlinear. It'll go for a long time without moving at all. Many folks use one of the trip odometers to track it. I just fill up when it's about halfway down (4-5 gallons), because gas is much cheaper when I'm in one of the other towns 20-40 miles away.

Conventional wisdom suggests that you fill up immediately when the lowest "block" of the gauge begins to flash. You can't be sure how much fuel is left at that point. Because of this uncertainty, most folks fill before the flashing warning.

A good thing is to use the slowest pump speed to avoid early cutoff or possible overflow. When I'm filling from a half tank, even at slow pump speed, I hardly have time to finish cleaning the windshield.

As for the plural of Prius, lots of folks say "Prii." My son advises that this is technically incorrect. Plurals of Latin words (e.g. alumnus and alumni) are only correct if the original Latin used the plural form. Since Prius isn't a Latin word at all, the Latin rules don't apply.

I say Priuses.

11. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

My favorite thing about black Priuses is the lower rear windshield is invisible; most people won't realize it's there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 6 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]250983[/snapback]</div>
    It's not even a Latin issue; it's an English issue. You never do anything irregular with proper nouns. For example, the plural of Camry is Camrys, NOT Camries (and not Camry's either, for that matter, you apostrophe freaks).

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 6 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]250951[/snapback]</div>
    Tell her she's very observant, and it's because it's a hybrid.

As a new arrival here, you missed the discussions (and even a poll!) re: whether the Prius is a "gay car". Best conclusion: it's ambivalent. ;)

13. DAT1

DAT1 New Member

Congratulations! I'm still waiting for mine to come but should be here in a week. Black is a great color especially with the tinted windows. Hope you enjoy.

14. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tell her manhood (or adulthood for that matter) is defined by how you treat other people, by confidence in yourself, and by taking responsibility for your actions. Driving a Prius instead of a Yukon shows all of things.

While your at it, explain that rich people are people who have money, not people who spend money.

As for the curb, it depends how badly you munged the rocker panel. I hit a curb the other day; it was so low down that a few sprays from a can of undercoating did the trick.

Nate

15. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ May 6 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]250951[/snapback]</div>

Tell your daughter that when she gets a bit older she will learn that real women appreciate an object of affection that has true staying power, instead of one that runs out of gas way too soon, leaving a woman unsatisfied, <g>.

Gary

16. plasm

plasm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 7 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]250983[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty sure Prius is Latin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

It says, "In Latin, prius means "before" or "first"."

Regardless, I say go ahead and say Prii if you want to.

17. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plasm @ May 7 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]251267[/snapback]</div>
    Assuming it is Latin, it still would not have had a Latin plural. So there would be no English plural either.

18. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new black beauty, and welcome to Priuschat!

Your car definitely resembles mine. :D

Ditto on what galaxee said...get the windows tinted! I got mine 20% rear 30% front and it looks great on the black!!!

19. tarafina

tarafina New Member

Yeah!

Congratulations and welcome!

Kitty will be two weeks old this Wednesday.

I parallel parked today for the first time in the new baby, and with the backup camera, it was so creepy and hilarious!
    Best Car Ever.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i much prefer a man who's confident regardless of what he drives, and i think many other women feel the same way B)